Replacing 1 tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can replace one tire with the same tire tread and size. If you are worried about a difference, put the new tire on the back and keep 2 matched tires on the front.
I've owned 2- and 4-wheeldrive trucks for decades and if I get a blowout and my tires are still good, I replace the one bad tire. I've never experienced any anomalies if the new tire goes on the back. If you put the new tire on the front, you risk the vehicle wanting to drift because of the resistance due to mismatched tread.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
If you put the new tire on the front, you risk the vehicle wanting to drift because of the resistance due to mismatched tread.
^^THIS^^

And just a side note, but I have noticed some tire shops around me (SW PA) have signs up that say that if they are replacing only 1 or 2 tires, they are required (?) to put the new ones on the back and move the existing back ones to the front for this very reason...

Not sure if it's a local thing, state thing or some funky federal thing that nobody wants to talk about until you need a new tire(s), but regardless, it's still a good idea IMHO...

However, barring an irreparable puncture (like the OP) or a blowout, under normal circumstances, I ALWAYS replace all 4 tires at the same time. But OTOH, I have been accused of having OCD about keeping my tires rotated/balanced/aligned/inflated correctly too

And also a warning for anyone who cares:

"But remember Tire Rack sells tires" this is SO true in SO many ways, to the point that I refuse to go within 3000 miles of one of their stores..been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

Thankfully I have 2 local tire shops that I know I can trust to do excellent work @excellent prices, WITHOUT any yippity yappity nonsense about "oh, and BTW, you also need this $800 part/repair too, we might as well do it now, while we have it up on the rack"
:D

Last edited:

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get one tire and rotate the spare into the mix. Now you got two new tires on the front axle and a proven spare