a little shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kikif158

Reaction score
I have a 97 expedition 5.4 with 152k miles. The other day we had lots of rain and high winds. When I started it after work the idle was a little shaky. It would shake about every 20 seconds. I didn't notice any drop in the rpms, but it was shaky on acceleration. When I got home after my 4 mile drive the idle was smooth as normal, but CEL was on. I got in the car yesterday and no CEL. Does anyone know what the problem could be? TIA of any and all input.

02'ebauer

Reaction score
sounds like it could possibly be the coil packs, I have had similar problems with my 02 and turned out being the coil packs seems its a common problem on this generation. Happens when it rains heavily then seems to correct itself most of the time.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
kiki, take the truck to the auto parts store and have them read the codes. Even though the CEL is out, the code is still in the truck. You should be seeing a P030X code (with the X being a number indicating the cylinder that is bad). I would replace the coil on that cylinder and see what happens at that point. A quick check that you can do is to look at the top of the coil and see if you spot any white lines in the clear top. I bet you will find some along the edge. that is where water is getting into the coil and shorting it out, leading to your rough idle.

If I had to take a bet, I am going to go out on a limb and say you are going to be getting code P0303 or P0304 (cylinders 3 and 4).

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You did not say if the shaking went away as well as the code. If it went away I would not worry. If it still shakes I would first check the spark plug wells to make sure there is no water in there before you replace any of the coils. The boots are known to leak on higher milage expys and if any water gets on the motor it can find its way in the plug wells.

If its a small amount it may dry itself out and go away as the motor heats up.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive had a few coils dry out after heavy rain before, but i would still replace that coil. #4 and #3 are the most prone to go out. usually because coolant will, very slowly, drip on to that coil. also not very fun to get out. i can get #3 out, but #4 i took in.

OP
OP
K

kikif158

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. i'm gonna check the coils for the white spots and get to the parts store and have them read the codes for me. I'll keep you posted.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kiki can you take a pic and show me where #8 is? I might have a similar situation

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine shekes when i hit 40 mph........ had plugs done 6 months ago, as soon as I drove off it misfired and I took back, mechanic said it was #8 and pushed something and it went away. wondering if it is loose again.

OP
OP
K

kikif158

Reaction score
mine shekes when i hit 40 mph........ had plugs done 6 months ago, as soon as I drove off it misfired and I took back, mechanic said it was #8 and pushed something and it went away. wondering if it is loose again.

standing in front of the vehicle, it's the one on the right closest to the firewall.