About to make the jump(Yukon XL to Max)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncdrillguy

Reaction score
About to make the jump from a 2015 GMC Yukon XL to 2019 Ford Expedition Max (Limited or Plat). I've always been GM guy (owned a 2003 tahoe, 2007 Suburban, 2011 Suburban, 2015 Yukon XL) in personal life and work vehicles have always been fords(super-dutys and 150's). Never thought I'd spend my personal money on a Ford...lol But these new Expedition Max's are pretty nice!

I have 4 teenage kids that are and will be over 6' so not exactly small kids. They all complain about leg room behind 2nd row now in GMC so I took them down to sit in a new Max. They all agree leg room is better but I'm concerned about head room(almost touching). Anyone have feedback or is this just a trade off? Also, storage behind 3rd row seems less?

Those are my two big hang ups at moment, anyone else been in similar boat?

Thanks.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
storage behind 3rd row seems less?

Thanks.

Yes. But there is 2” of additional leg room in 3rd row. Who knows what the new Yukon’s/suburbans will have for space. Their specs haven’t been announced yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear seats recline so that will help the head room and my understanding is that there is slightly less storage behind the third row.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About to make the jump from a 2015 GMC Yukon XL to 2019 Ford Expedition Max (Limited or Plat). I've always been GM guy (owned a 2003 tahoe, 2007 Suburban, 2011 Suburban, 2015 Yukon XL) in personal life and work vehicles have always been fords(super-dutys and 150's). Never thought I'd spend my personal money on a Ford...lol But these new Expedition Max's are pretty nice!

I have 4 teenage kids that are and will be over 6' so not exactly small kids. They all complain about leg room behind 2nd row now in GMC so I took them down to sit in a new Max. They all agree leg room is better but I'm concerned about head room(almost touching). Anyone have feedback or is this just a trade off? Also, storage behind 3rd row seems less?

Thanks.

You get more headroom with a solid roof. Stronger, too.

OP
OP
N

ncdrillguy

Reaction score
That's a great point...that makes sense. The headliner is lower because of the sun roof.
Thanks!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never had a passenger back there complain about headroom. Stated before, they can recline which adds about 2 in of headroom and increases leg room as well. As far as carfo room behind the third row, there shouldnt be any reason you can't put the same amount of belongings in either truck, though the expy will take more tetris work.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 6 foot 6 son, and there was no way he was going to fit in the second row of a MAX with a sunroof ......so we had to find one without a sunroof. But there is indeed plenty of legroom for him in the second row with the seat all the way back

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 6 foot 6 son, and there was no way he was going to fit in the second row of a MAX with a sunroof ......so we had to find one without a sunroof. But there is indeed plenty of legroom for him in the second row with the seat all the way back

That's good. Your roof rack capacity is much higher, too. I hate sunroofs.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a great point...that makes sense. The headliner is lower because of the sun roof.
Thanks!

I thought this would be the case too since I prefer the additional headroom over the sunroof. However, even without the sunroof, the headliner has substantial contours in the Expedition, perhaps to permit HVAC ducting in the ceiling, etc. My recollection was the the 3rd row area especially was no different on headroom with or without the sunroof, but I'd recommend sitting in both to see for yourself.

OP
OP
N

ncdrillguy

Reaction score

Thanks Scottorama. My 14 yr old son is 6'2 and still going. All 3 of my boys will "likely" be over 6'3.

I have the dealer now looking for Max Limited or Platinum without sunroof - but I have a feeling there won't be any... Did you have to order one?