Ac compressor clutch hub failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith92487

Reaction score
ac finally went out during the hottest 2 days of the year up here in western ny, has anyone changed the front clutch hub? I see one bolt in the middle but I’m guessing it won’t slide right off.
The clutch rubber dampener broke free in the center
1A3CDEA0-D6D6-4870-A324-FF207D969EC2.jpeg

ECB6D358-98AB-44A2-B606-24CC60716FDD.jpeg

A7BC638C-28C3-4548-A5AC-7E4F495F85B9.jpeg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's really rusty??? Yes it just slides off after bolt removal. I use oil filter pliers to hold while loosening.
I just went to salvage yard this week and pulled 4 of them off.
There are several common ones, shared among many manufacturers of vehicles.
I was getting the 3 round rubber vibration thingy ones but other style like the one you show fit too.
I found that there are two different common spline sizes. One ever so slightly smaller.
The 8mm bolt is the smaller splined shaft and the 10mm is the larger. Too easy..right?

Some were stuck pretty good. You can spray penetrating oil in center hole but I don't think it helps. I used two screwdrivers and worked them off. Of course I prefer the ones that slide off. You can bend it too much and create a problem, but getting old off it doesn't matter as you are tossing that one.

Hopefully you will be ok with new but often the compressor is locking up or giving to much resistance and that is what makes the clutch slip and smokes it.
I don't think you can buy just the front piece without the whole clutch (magnet coil and all) and they are pricey just to test and maybe burn it up too. Been there, done that.
I was replacing one on an aftermarket comp but it fits volvo semis. The EXACT clutch front was on many Nissans. I think I pulled one off a Murano.
Super cheap at self-pull lots.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Slide off" is a misnomer. The center bolt is all that holds it on, but it may be stuck and need some persuasion to get it off. Installing the new one is the *****. As you remove the old one, watch carefully for any spacer washers behind the clutch that sit on the shaft. You may need them for the new clutch.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Slide off" is a misnomer. The center bolt is all that holds it on, but it may be stuck and need some persuasion to get it off. Installing the new one is the *****. As you remove the old one, watch carefully for any spacer washers behind the clutch that sit on the shaft. You may need them for the new clutch.
Only when they look that bad! I slid 4 off last wed with nothing but finger pressure. Much harder to hold the hub to loosen the bolt than take off the front...but one or two would not move. Some slide, some don't.
The front seal leaks enough on most to keep them fairly lubed....unfortunate but true.

OP
OP
Keith92487

Keith92487

Reaction score
the salt wasn’t friendly to her in the past 12 years, Thanks for the reply’s

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member