AC Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denver102

Reaction score
Hello, I need help. I have a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4 3V. I had a bad leak. I replaced the evaporator, the dryer filter / line that hooks up to the compressor, the compressor. I pulled a vacuum for 1 1/2 hours. I let it set over night and it held pressure. The leak is now fixed. I added freon 42 lbs on the low side. It cools like never before until I am on the freeway for 15 plus miles and it starts blowing not warm but definitely not cold air any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Steve

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the air cold blowing from the rear overhead vents? Just not the dash vents ?

OP
OP
D

Denver102

Reaction score
Sorry! I just seen where you had replied to my post. I have only front a/c vents.
Thank you! Steve

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may have created a problem (loose connection, placement, etc) with the Evaporator Discharge Air Temperature Sensor when you replaced the Evaporator. Shouldn't be that hard to check.

1630639776394.gif

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the compressor runs for the first 20 to 30 minutes and then quits running, it's the shim behind the clutch. It's an easy fix... remove the center bolt on the clutch, leave bolt installed and pull off the clutch and bolt together. Remove the thinnest washer which is about .060, and put back together. As these things age the clutch gets worn, and rather than replacing the clutch just remove the thinnest shim. I've done this on all 5 of my last vehicles and it always works.