Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really never thought about the oil needed for an AC system until I started looking at replacing the compressor in My Expedition. However, I'm currently replacing the condenser and the dryer / accumulator in my Ford Escape and bought refrigerant but wondered if I need to add oil to the system.

I bought some oil so that I have it with me as I researched this.

the oil I have came in cans that are smaller but have the same nipple that the refrigerant comes in. I'm not sure if it uses the same hoses and gauges that the freon is put into the system with.

I believe my Escape holds 5 oz and I have to 3-oz cans.

Also, since the condenser part also contains the transmission fluid cooler, I wonder how much transmission fluid I'll have to add back. Obviously, I will see once I've completed the swap but I nearly forgot about that part

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t speak for other makes but the Ford OE compressors are pre-filled with pag oil out of the box. Don’t open up those caps too early it’ll be a mess! Mine actually had too much oil.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... but the Ford OE compressors...

JExp, I should clarify. I'm just switching out the condenser and dryer, not the compressor.

"Chris's fix"on youtube says to add it... So I saw it on the internet. :)