Accessory mode on even with ignition in locked position and key removed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 Eddie Bauer Expy, 5.4l 4x4 with 153,000 miles. I've owned this truck since 2015 and it has always had a parasitic electrical draw that will drain the battery if the truck sits for more than 3 weeks. I work out of town on a rotational schedule so the Expy does sit for 3-4 weeks at a time without being started. I attempted to track down the parasitic draw a few years ago but didn't accomplish anything so my fix was to install a 5 amp battery tender and plug it in whenever the Expy would be parked for extended periods.
Now I seem to have a new problem. Last week my wife drove the Expy and it was fine. Couple days after that, I remotely unlocked the doors to change out the proof of insurance, relocked the doors and it seemed fine. Today I tried to unlock the doors and no response. Unlocked with the key and checked the digital volt meter. 5.4v uh-oh and wierd, the battery has never gone flat after sitting for a few days or even up to 2 weeks.
Through a battery charger on and heard the key minder start chiming with the open door. However, keys were in my pocket and ignition is in the locked position. Tried electrical items and found the power windows and radio are working with the key off and removed. I can't get the power to shut off.
Further more, it wasn't on the day I changed out the proof of insurance, so the acc circuit powered on by itself.

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Did some more research and the learned that water leaking from the windshield could get into the GEM and cause problems. Checked my truck and didn't find any evidence of water intrusion. Another day went by and when I checked the truck, the accessories were off and operations had returned to normal.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Too much tightly packed text for me this morning (sorry!) so I may have missed things.

Both my 2007 and 2017 Expeditions criminally leave the power outlets LIVE all the time regardless of the ignition or keys. Anything plugged in will suck power from the battery. I've resorted to disconnecting the battery if I have to leave the truck for more than a week.

-- Chuck

FordGuy62

Reaction score
I had a parasitic draw and system not shutting down correctly on my 2001 Expedition. Weirdly I traced it to the circuit controlled by the fuse labeled "Pop-out windows". I don't have pop-out windows, but when you trace the circuit it does control some stereo components. I pulled that fuse and that ended my problem. I did not detect any loss of functionality in any other part of the vehicle including the stereo. The fuse has been out for a couple of years now and no parasitic draw. Kind of a backyard fix but at this point I don't care. If & when I determine that some other functionality was lost I will revisit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett