Add DVD headrests- audio through stereo or fm modulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation. I was promised it would all work out, yadda, yadda, yadda. (I didn't want FM modulated and I didn't want to buy multiple ipads, keep them charged and keep track of them. Plus, I would have very little control over what the kids were doing on them while we were driving. Additionally, if they had a problem, I couldn't help. )

I emailed Voxx and here was their reply (11/30/17):
The system that is being offered and installed in the 2018 Ford Expeditions will only be available as a factory installed option, there unfortunately will not be a version available at this time for after sales.
The Entertainment System does come equipped with 2 wireless headphones for listening so that others in the vehicle can still listen to the radio station of their choice.
We decided to purchase one with the factory installed headrest. I know it will work and I can control it through from the nav/screen. "You're fighting? No movie." (Yeah, I'm mean that way.)
Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your new purchase.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation. I was promised it would all work out, yadda, yadda, yadda. (I didn't want FM modulated and I didn't want to buy multiple ipads, keep them charged and keep track of them. Plus, I would have very little control over what the kids were doing on them while we were driving. Additionally, if they had a problem, I couldn't help. )

I emailed Voxx and here was their reply (11/30/17):
The system that is being offered and installed in the 2018 Ford Expeditions will only be available as a factory installed option, there unfortunately will not be a version available at this time for after sales.
The Entertainment System does come equipped with 2 wireless headphones for listening so that others in the vehicle can still listen to the radio station of their choice.
We decided to purchase one with the factory installed headrest. I know it will work and I can control it through from the nav/screen. "You're fighting? No movie." (Yeah, I'm mean that way.)

EXACTLY.

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you have/are purchasing it as factory installed, you can get a slingbox and stream live tv through the head rest dvd players. Works beautifully!

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have/are purchasing it as factory installed, you can get a slingbox and stream live tv through the head rest dvd players. Works beautifully!
That’s so awesome. Car technology has advanced so much recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s so awesome. Car technology has advanced so much recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding!!! Remember having the only forms of entertainment on road trips being the road sign alphabet game or I spy... and that was provided you weren’t playing keep your mouth shut because mom “got” dad lost!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No kidding!!! Remember having the only forms of entertainment on road trips being the road sign alphabet game or I spy... and that was provided you weren’t playing keep your mouth shut because mom “got” dad lost!
LOL! or you play count the yellow cars game. :D

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was the games my wife mentioned playing and said our kids will be just fine if we survived with our TVs in the car. Since she had already made the jump up from buying the explorer to the Navigator I agreed and counted my blessings lol I think we’ll survive with out the TVs.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the games my wife mentioned playing and said our kids will be just fine if we survived with our TVs in the car. Since she had already made the jump up from buying the explorer to the Navigator I agreed and counted my blessings lol I think we’ll survive with out the TVs.

You think that now, but soon you'll want them. But luckily there is a very simple solution so don't fret...iPads. They make cases for them to strap right on the back of the head rest, so simple. So you'll be fine even if you regret that decision. Apple made it simple for us.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You think that now, but soon you'll want them. But luckily there is a very simple solution so don't fret...iPads. They make cases for them to strap right on the back of the head rest, so simple. So you'll be fine even if you regret that decision. Apple made it simple for us.
This is our thought as well. We won’t need them for the first couple of years and when we do start these long trips we will do the tablet alternative. After 8-10 years we will be replacing the vehicle again so we will reevaluate what our needs are at that time.

Last edited:

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We opted not to get the rear seat entertainment with our 2014 because we were just starting our family and they were both rear-facing. We did the same with our 2017 since one was forward-facing but the other was still rear-facing and we figured we’d go the iPad route and just velcro the one to the rear seat headrest and do the same with front passenger seat headrest for the other. It worked out great during the trial runs but every one of our 1,000 mile road trips we had to stop several times to make adjustments due to sound sync problems, or a screen than got rotated or something else that resulted in one kid or the other upset. I know, I know, first world problems but this time around, they’re finally both forward-facing so RSE was an option we opted for with our 2018.

On a side note, for you iPad/iPhone software developers, here’s an idea for you. Design an app that can sync the video between two or more iPads that are playing the exact same content that could be controlled by an iPhone or a third iPad. Set it up so you can route the audio through the vehicle’s Bluetooth and I think you’ll have an app that would sell $20-30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djahmed786