ADV Track and bad alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarahjo

Reaction score
04 expedition, here is what happened y'all, my exp has been running beautifully since replacing plugs and coil packs. My significant other was driving it, hit the gas extra hard, hard enough to make it redline, then the display on the dash said adv track and also check charging system. Radio and ac then turned off. I thought alternator, BUT it was just replaced in June of this year.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand alternator did you use when you replaced it ? Do you have a code reader you can scan for DTC codes with ?

OP
OP
Sarahjo

Sarahjo

Reaction score
I used a Duralast alternator, and I just have a cheap code reader. There is a pending code of p0174. It always pulls that code though.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Rip said, you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system. Easiest way to find it is with a smoke machine. But short of that you'll just have to inspect all the vacuum lines. Make sure AutoZone gave you the correct amp rated alternator for your Expy. Unless you have factory Navigation you have a 110 amp alternator from the factory and that's what the computer expects to see. Anything else (like the Nav optioned 135 amp alternator....) will set off the Check Charge System warning light. Go back to AutoZone, have the system tested, make sure you have the 110 amp alternator installed. In the future I would only use NAPA or Motorcraft alternator units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants