After Market Projector headlamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred69

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the, After Market Projector headlamps and if so how well do they work? This would be for a 2003 exped. I have seen the L & R housing @ $374 each. including bulbs? any assistance would be most helpful. I am looking for improved looks, however performance is critical. I did not want a couple aircraft landing lights on the bumper. Just something that looks cool, and out performs the stock headlamps xenon is not an option too much $$$$

:confused:

dimartino

Reaction score
What's up Fred. A friend of a friend has projectors in his 2000 expy, and i don't see a huge difference between those, and the sylvania silverstars i use, certainly not $400 difference. And I have seen HID upgrade kits on e-bay for less than $400 btw.

eric :

cheers:

OP
OP
F

Fred69

Reaction score
Sylvania Silverstars. Hmmmmm I will look into them... What wattage are they running? Hi/Lo beams?

Unfortunately I do not use E-Bay.. Have heard too many bad stories from people I have talked too...

Thanks in advance,

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Silverstars can be picked up at any auto parts store. I have them (see my sig), and they work well. I think they are the only legitimate bulb replacement (they are made by Sylvania), unless you want to pay for the HID's (!!!$$$$$).

They only come in the legal form of 65/55 watts. A lot of kids are putting in the illegal stuff (100/65), and it is really a PIA to those they are driveing up to, kinda like burning your eyes out!

In terms of Ebay, it is a good source of products (I have had no problems), but like anything its buyer beware. The old saying "if its too good to be true", it probably isn't applies here.

dimartino

Reaction score
The other problem with overwattage bulbs is that they burn out in half the time due to the heat. The silverstars are definitly the way to go. You won't fall over in amazement, but they are definitly an improvement over the OEM bulbs. (Have fun changing the drivers side bulb by the way)

here's one example of tn example of a relatively inexpensive HID upgrade......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455655678&category=36476

OP
OP
F

Fred69

Reaction score
Thanks much!!! I am going to my local parts shop Sat to p/u the Hi beam Sliverstars I will post my observations. Ill stick w/the legal ones as I am not into frying the rear of peoples skulls w/light, or causing discomfort to peoples eyesight. w/my luck they would swerve into me head on.

Again Thank You All,

OP
OP
F

Fred69

Reaction score
Silverstars 2003 Exped

:cheers:

Well I decided to do the install today. It's 8 degrees outside w/a 15 below zero wind chill. My Kerosene heater was empty, and it took me just over 45 minutes to make the change to Silverstars. they were $19.99 each @ Murrays Auto parts + there is a $5 each rebate from Sylvania... I found no diference in the drivers side assembly as far as accessing the bulbs it was a cake walk even w/gloves on...

Thanks to all for your assistance...

K.I.T

OP
OP
F

Fred69

Reaction score
Hi,

My question now is I have read where you can use the 9005st to replace the 9145 fogs. Has anyone tried this one, and if so how'd it work out??:confused:

OP
OP
F

Fred69

Reaction score
Yeah saw those, there is also a set flat black looks nice. I'm not a real clear/chrome fan. More of a high tech look! nonetheless not worth $750 + bulbs....for me to jump. There are many other toy's I would like. If you are seeking a plethora of data type it into www.google.com There will be a couple days research easy of different manufacturers, styles,prices; etc: