Air Conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings...How cold is your AC? My wife's, going on 7 year old, RAV4's air is amazing. We were out shopping over the weekend. Returned to her car in our now 100+ temps in AZ. Starts the car, immediate COLD air. Cooled the car down super fast. She keeps it set at 75-77 and it's cold. No rear AC. My 2018 sits out in a parking lot for the same time, set at 70 (rear set at 70 too) and it takes a long time to cool and the air is never COLD. We both have sunroofs that are closed along with the sun screen, both black interiors. I have tinted windows, she doesn't.

Does size really matter? And if it does, shouldn't Ford account for that? Should I take it back to the dealer who will tell me it's "normal" or "ok"? Do I want to waste half a day at the dealer to hear that answer? I've never been impressed with my AC, and really don't think about it because of it's size until I get in that RAV4.

How do yours feel? Thoughts?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The older vehicles might have better refrigerant in them, before the EPA F'd that up as well. I know my 2007 the factory AC is the coldest AC vehicle I own. All this new ECO BS is junk and doesn't cool effectively. Plus I'm sure they scaled down the size of the compressors and everything else trying to make more MPG to keep the EPA happy. $hit just can't work well after they neuter all the good parts out.... Mines fine on my Expedition, but its not that impressive. I'm in WI tho....

Buda Max

Reaction score
Have the dealer check your AC service ports. I took my 2018 in several times for AC concerns on top of every other issue I had throughout last couple years. I had enough and had a different dealer check it and they fixed it along with a bad fuel injector for a misfire. Original dealer said they had their best tech on it and he could not figure out the AC cooling issue. No code , is usually their response outside of unable to duplicate.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could not be happier with the AC in the Expedition. My previous two vehicles were a 2003 Super Duty and the discharge air would get so cold that your left hand would hurt if you had the vent directed towards it for long. I had a job where the parking lot had been repaved and coming out of work the overhead thermometer would read 120° or more and the AC still got cool by the time I exited the property. Next vehicle was a 2010 F-150 and that had the absolute worst AC imaginable. It took a fifteen minute drive to cool the cabin down in the summer. I believe that it could have been capable of cooling much better, because the discharge air would just start to feel cold and the AC compressor would instantly cycle off. My theory has always been that Ford established a "tolerance" for the AC electronic controls...the sensor that triggered the compressor clutch on/off could be within tolerance, but at the poor end of the range and therefore considered to be working. After that experience, I worried about ordering another Ford, but it seems that their controls evolved.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cold in 100+ temps. More efficient / faster cool down than my Sequoia. If the condenser fan is caput they don’t cool when not getting air flow. Any vehicle can have the fan issue

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings...How cold is your AC? My wife's, going on 7 year old, RAV4's air is amazing. We were out shopping over the weekend. Returned to her car in our now 100+ temps in AZ. Starts the car, immediate COLD air. Cooled the car down super fast. She keeps it set at 75-77 and it's cold. No rear AC. My 2018 sits out in a parking lot for the same time, set at 70 (rear set at 70 too) and it takes a long time to cool and the air is never COLD. We both have sunroofs that are closed along with the sun screen, both black interiors. I have tinted windows, she doesn't.

Does size really matter? And if it does, shouldn't Ford account for that? Should I take it back to the dealer who will tell me it's "normal" or "ok"? Do I want to waste half a day at the dealer to hear that answer? I've never been impressed with my AC, and really don't think about it because of it's size until I get in that RAV4.

There were several folks on here that had ac issues with the 2018s early on. There’s actually a TSB on it that involves flushing the entire system of some bad refrigerant and replacing all the lines…it was a pain in the butt. I would think if you’re driving an ‘18 that problem would have manifested by now…but maybe not.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Here’s one of the threads, although the OP in that had a worse experience than most.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/contaminated-refrigerant-issue.37306/

vincentrose

Reaction score
Well in my 2014 Expy, today is was 90 outside, discharge air was around 60 at idle sitting still, but when moving down the road 50-60 mph, discharge air was around 45.

OP
OP
2018ExpyPlatinum

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Aggie. I remember that post. Mine was built in April I believe and 2018's that had issues were built prior. I'm going to call or stop by the dealer Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure I'll have to make an appointment, blah blah blah. To me, it's not right.