Air intake silencer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
I searched this forum and some other Ford forums and I can't pin down if my 2001 5.4 has a silencer or not. I have part of the air box taken apart now so that I can do the Gotts mod, would be helpful if I can take the silencer out while I am in there. I don't mind the air noise and would actually like to increase the volume if possible...

sdaviddr

Reaction score
I did the GOTTS mod last week.I did not removed the silencer.My thinking was that silencer tube acts more like a funnel to streamline and speed up the air flow into the throttlebody.With the tube removed you lose that effect.Just my 2cents.
the silencer is in the square box that make the turn to the throttlebody

Last edited:

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do I disconnect the positive or the negative on my battery to reset the ECM or does it not matter?

Pull the negative! never the postive first, the electrical spike can and will kill the ecm over time or at once, the ecm/pcm/brain is very SENSATive to electrical spikes. The negative has a very little if not no electrical spike when disconnected.