Air ride suspension fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air ride suspension on our navigator failed to turn back on shortly after we bought it. The previous owner just had a new compressor and height sensor installed in july. I ordered the coilover conversion kit for it and when swapping it I removed the solenoids from the air bags(2008). One bag shot some air out, the other shot out a giant puddle of orange oil.

I assume the compressor ate itself alive and shot all of it's oil into this air bag? Our air suspension was acting like everything was fine even when it wasn't working. d12498d5c6d790d5b6b8bec2e6a673e1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't worked on the Navigator air springs, but I've done the 2 Lincoln mark 7's I've owned. When releasing air in an air spring, you need to have vehicle on stands, or a rack. You turn solenoid slowly, that last part of the turn is how it releases. As far as oil coming out, it does sound like the compressor sprung a leak and made it's way through the air line. This is why you always wear safety glasses working on a vehicle. Luckily you didn't get any in your eyes.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckily I had them off the vehicle on the ground already. They were pretty much fully deflated also. The oil definitely surprised me lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk