Air Suspension Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hulkster

Reaction score
If you are going back to bags you will have to condition the material ever so often or it will fail again. The springs really are better and more reliable. But if your after oem just condition the bags

OP
OP
bezaki

bezaki

Reaction score
If you are going back to bags you will have to condition the material ever so often or it will fail again. The springs really are better and more reliable. But if your after oem just condition the bags

Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to find all the parts.

wingrider

Reaction score
I really like having the air suspension in the back of my 2012. I will probably now not trade up to a 2020 as I tow a lot and it's great to just see that thing level off and works great. I don't think Ford should have a tow package and still have to do something like add Sumo(sp?) springs. I'm really bummed about that prospect as I had given a lot of thought to trading up based on the other good things I hear. For me, the missing air bags are not worth the move. I'm ready to take the heat of the comments to follow....

OP
OP
bezaki

bezaki

Reaction score
I really like having the air suspension in the back of my 2012. I will probably now not trade up to a 2020 as I tow a lot and it's great to just see that thing level off and works great. I don't think Ford should have a tow package and still have to do something like add Sumo(sp?) springs. I'm really bummed about that prospect as I had given a lot of thought to trading up based on the other good things I hear. For me, the missing air bags are not worth the move. I'm ready to take the heat of the comments to follow....

I can't blame you one bit. I really wanted to stick with the 5.4 that is why I did not buy a newer truck. I also wanted the air ride, for the towing, unfortunately this one was converted, but the price was too good to pass up.

wingrider

Reaction score
I can't blame you one bit. I really wanted to stick with the 5.4 that is why I did not buy a newer truck. I also wanted the air ride, for the towing, unfortunately this one was converted, but the price was too good to pass up.

Oh good, I'm not *completely* crazy. The parts should still exist to put them on the Expy for you. I had these when they were on all 4 corners on my '99 and it didn't even dawn on me to ask/notice it was just the rears when we bough the 2012. A couple months ago I went through the microfiche on the Tasca website for my 2012 and it looks like the rear air parts are/still will be available for some time since they were pretty unchanged up to about 2015. I guess that's one good thing in this case that they slowly change the Expeditions. Parts will carry over so parts for my 2012 are also on newer ones stretching out availability. Depending on your determination, you could also hit a pick and pull type place and find one that blew a motor up but the back of the Expy is untouched. Congrats on the good deal!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to agree the air ride is far superior ride wise. The navigator we recently picked up was fortunate enough to have all 4 corners working. I'm sure I'll regret it one day but for now it's worth it. Both are 2003 and if that's what you're after I dont think you'll be disappointed. Just be aware it's not a slap it in and forget it thing and repairs down the line will likely be fairly pricey. Currently a conversion kit for all 4 corners costs about what 1 air spring assembly does.

Last edited:

LSchoen

Reaction score
Hey all-- new member to the forums here.

I have a 2014 EL Limited w/o factory load leveling. I've done quite a bit of research via Google and these forums and still no clear determination of whether any aftermarket air systems would work on my rig. I think oem is off the table--several on these forums have noted how difficult it is to program if the truck never had oem air.

Curious if anyone on this forum have heard of any success with adding air suspension to a 3rd gen 2014ish rig w/o load leveling. Thanks in advance.

wingrider

Reaction score
You could do the work then have a local dealer program/reset it. Then the spend is only tech time vs labor to install. I'm sure they would just program it a similar way if they had to reset/replace onboard suspension modules.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any time I talk to a dealer about anything custom, they won't touch it and don't even want to talk to me about it unless it was installed on my truck by the factory. I noticed the same trend in multiple different threads where people talk about trying to add optional factory equipment to their vehicle. Maybe it's a policy with Ford or some sort of liability concern. Whatever it is, it seems most dealers just don't want to go there. If you find one that will, you might be lucky!

LSchoen

Reaction score
You could do the work then have a local dealer program/reset it. Then the spend is only tech time vs labor to install. I'm sure they would just program it a similar way if they had to reset/replace onboard suspension modules.
Any time I talk to a dealer about anything custom, they won't touch it and don't even want to talk to me about it unless it was installed on my truck by the factory. I noticed the same trend in multiple different threads where people talk about trying to add optional factory equipment to their vehicle. Maybe it's a policy with Ford or some sort of liability concern. Whatever it is, it seems most dealers just don't want to go there. If you find one that will, you might be lucky!

Thanks for the replies. I think I am coming to the conclusion that OEM-like load leveling isn't worth the cost/hassle. I just wish there were aftermarket options...

Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slyce8311