Alarming issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
2011 exp el xlt. Had it 10 mos and 3 or 4 days ago it has started playing alarm games. I used to park it get out hit the door button to lock it and walk away and no problem. I have started finding it having triggered the alarm after coming out of the store. Tried using just the remote. to lock and unlock. Now no matter what i do the alarm is going off every 10 to fifteen minutes when left locked sitting even all by itself in a
parking lot. It happened 4x today while was nearby. I went out once after unlocking and locking the door with the fob just to check but it happened 3 more times requiring fob action to quell it. I looked through forums and see this kind of issue pops up but no solutions seem to get posted.

Reaction score
I found out the hard way last night that opening the hood from the half latched position with the vehicle alarm on that it will set it off. Maybe check there, total shot in the dark though

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 exp el xlt. Had it 10 mos and 3 or 4 days ago it has started playing alarm games. I used to park it get out hit the door button to lock it and walk away and no problem. I have started finding it having triggered the alarm after coming out of the store. Tried using just the remote. to lock and unlock. Now no matter what i do the alarm is going off every 10 to fifteen minutes when left locked sitting even all by itself in a
parking lot. It happened 4x today while was nearby. I went out once after unlocking and locking the door with the fob just to check but it happened 3 more times requiring fob action to quell it. I looked through forums and see this kind of issue pops up but no solutions seem to get posted.

Factory or aftermarket alarm system? After aftermarket add-on that could be tied in with the alarm?

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
factory (pats?).
Plan to check battery resting volts (after overnite sit). Then i will put it on a trickle charge while i check the hood button/switch. Will also clean the grounds i can find.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
factory (pats?).
Plan to check battery resting volts (after overnite sit). Then i will put it on a trickle charge while i check the hood button/switch. Will also clean the grounds i can find.

The alarm activation almost sounds as though one of the door latch switches is sticking.

Good luck - let us know what you determine.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
I have used some ideas found on different sites and here to try and sort out this bug. First thing was to unlock and then open all doors, tailgate and hood. After opening the hood, i touched the hood button switch and found it to be a bit loose on its mount. i took it off (the mounting nut was that loose ) by hand and disconnected the wiring (no corrosion there) . i took the rubber cover off and gave it a few squeezes to see if i felt rough but it worked nice and smooth. i then got a can of silicone spray and gave it a bit of lube as well as treating the rubber cap before putting it all together. I then went to each door with the silicone spray and sprayed into the latch area at various angles as well as giving each of the lock buttons a few drops to leak down in (each of the latches and hinges were white greased when i first bought it 10 mos ago). I then manually worked each door lock button up and down a few times, and then sprayed the hatch lock.
I closed all the doors and went back to the hood and put that button back in place and tightened down the nut with a wrench. For good measure i gave the bracket a slight tug upwards and the closed the hood. I locked it with the fob, then unlocked the front door with the fob , pushed the lock button and walked away. Its been 2 and a half hours
without a false alarm. For good measure, at the 2 hour mark i went over to one side and gave it a good push on the b and c pillars to rock it a bit. No alarm. I then went to the other side and did the same thing. No alarm.
Remember this is the basic pats system. I hope this is all it takes to solve this. If i get another set of these false alarms, the next step will be to disconnect the battery, charge it, clean the terminals and grounds. Might even be worth the time to disconnect the wiring where the lines go through the firewall to clean up possible corrosion/oxidation there. I will be back to post if anything else happens to alarm me!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used some ideas found on different sites and here to try and sort out this bug. First thing was to unlock and then open all doors, tailgate and hood. After opening the hood, i touched the hood button switch and found it to be a bit loose on its mount. i took it off (the mounting nut was that loose ) by hand and disconnected the wiring (no corrosion there) . i took the rubber cover off and gave it a few squeezes to see if i felt rough but it worked nice and smooth. i then got a can of silicone spray and gave it a bit of lube as well as treating the rubber cap before putting it all together. I then went to each door with the silicone spray and sprayed into the latch area at various angles as well as giving each of the lock buttons a few drops to leak down in (each of the latches and hinges were white greased when i first bought it 10 mos ago). I then manually worked each door lock button up and down a few times, and then sprayed the hatch lock.
I closed all the doors and went back to the hood and put that button back in place and tightened down the nut with a wrench. For good measure i gave the bracket a slight tug upwards and the closed the hood. I locked it with the fob, then unlocked the front door with the fob , pushed the lock button and walked away. Its been 2 and a half hours
without a false alarm. For good measure, at the 2 hour mark i went over to one side and gave it a good push on the b and c pillars to rock it a bit. No alarm. I then went to the other side and did the same thing. No alarm.
Remember this is the basic pats system. I hope this is all it takes to solve this. If i get another set of these false alarms, the next step will be to disconnect the battery, charge it, clean the terminals and grounds. Might even be worth the time to disconnect the wiring where the lines go through the firewall to clean up possible corrosion/oxidation there. I will be back to post if anything else happens to alarm me!

After reaching your update post - I recall a post on this forum some time ago where the poster found the bracket for the hood switch bent, which caused alarm issues. He simply bent it back into place and it solve his problem.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
After reaching your update post - I recall a post on this forum some time ago where the poster found the bracket for the hood switch bent, which caused alarm issues. He simply bent it back into place and it solve his problem.
I had read a number of things that people had done for this issue and I went with easiest first. Once I found the bracket loose I assumed that was the most likely problem

skydude

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine.. fixed it, under the hood, drivers side there is a pressure switch that works when the hood is up or down... if the switch is bent.. might not close the circuit and will think the hood is opened.. hence the alarm... my switch was slightly bent, straighten it out no problems since..
Good luck