all headlights stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a 2007 El Platinum in great shape with low milage at a great price 2 weeks ago. About a week later I noticed the high bean switch wasn't working. The indicator on the dash lit up and the fog lights went out but the lights didn't change. Two days later I was having a friend look at it and now the headlights didn't work at all! No low beams or high beams! Still, when I switch the high beams on, the indictor on the dash lights up and the dog lights go off but neither the high beams or the low beams work.

I checked all the fuses, they're fine. I think the light switch is fine because the running lights and fog lights work correctly. I don't think it's the high beam switch because it is turning on the dash indicator and turning off the fog lights. I suspect it may be a relay but I have not found the wiring diagram to show me which relay or relays to check. I have ordered a used service manual set with wiring diagram but it won't be here until next week.

Meanwhile, if anyone can tell me which relays to check, or has any idea what would cause this, please let me know.

Thank you all and happy driving!

Bob

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
You may need to replace the steering wheel control assembly, the part that has the multi function, high beam, lever/arm switch control. Yes, I'm stupid and don't know the proper name. Have you checked the headlamp relays? If it's not the fuses or relays it's the steering wheel thing. It's not a part I could replace, it's too complicated. Over the past 40 years I have had 4 Fords where this has happened and the steering wheel part had to be replaced. FYI: If you ever get where it won't come out of Park, and the release button doesn't work, it's the break light switch that is hanging every thing up.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ It is called the multi-function switch and typically they are easy to replace on Fords.

From the symptoms he describes though, I'm not sure that part would be the culprit. I'd check the relays first. Their location should be indicated in the owner's manual.

OP
OP
ccbc65

ccbc65

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think it's the multifunction switch because the other functions it does do work. The high beam indicator lights up, the fog lights go off, etc. I suspect its the relays but I could not find which relay(s) it was online. Do you guys know which relay(s) to check/replace?

OP
OP
ccbc65

ccbc65

Reaction score
I found the problem. I had ordered the service manuals including the wiring manual, read up on the system and had my multimeter in hand and was ready to test each circuit in the system. When I removed the headlight lenses, it was clear these were not original headlights. The previous owner had put in a HID system but did not wire it well. They took the loose wires from the HID system and stuck them in the plugs from the original headlights and just taped them. One wire had finally came loose and it disabled the entire system. Turns out the high-beams weren't working because the HID system wasn't wired correctly. They had hard wired the high beams, so they were on all the time rendering the switch useless and I didn't actually have low beams. So who ever was driving this before me, was blinding all opposing traffic and any one they followed with these very bright HID headlights on high-beams all the time.

For now, I put original headlights back in and all my headlights work, low beams and high beams. The fog lights do not work but they were part of the HID conversion also. Seems they replaced the entire lens for the fog lights so I'll have to get originals or get the HID system working properly. The HID lights were much brighter than the original so I am going to see if I can wire them correctly and use them. But I don't want to be blinding anyone while I drive so I need to wire the low beams and high beams properly.

Thanks for all your inputs everyone.

Last edited: