ALLA LED headlights issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ALLAs (headlights, DRLs, etc, on various cars) all last about 2 to 4 years. At their price point, I just assume that 2 years is all they are good for. I did get Morimotos on my Expy last year, and they are still going.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out https://www.bulbfacts.com/ for information on better quality halogen and LED bulbs in different housings (reflector or projector). Link helped me make decisions on what I wanted to install.
That is a GREAT site! Never seen it before, thanks! I used to use the OSRAM Nightbreakers also, but they are harder to source in the US, and last set I got were not actually OSRAM, but a knock off. The Silverstar Ultra's I could pickup at the local Advance, and most of the time on sale, if I didn't wait until they were blown.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I know these are consumable items but I thought they would last longer than 2 years - or, is that the the life expectancy of LEDs these days?
EVERY bulb is a consumable, no matter the type or brand. In most cases you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
ViperVette

ViperVette

Reaction score
EVERY bulb is a consumable, no matter the type or brand. In most cases you get what you pay for.
I understand the consumable factor. That is true of everything on the vehicle to some degree.
I had a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD that the original headlights lasted over 10 years/nearly 85000 miles and the replacement bulbs were less than the Allas.
So that is why I was surprised to only get 2 years but oh well.
I’ll get something better this time.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand the consumable factor. That is true of everything on the vehicle to some degree.
I had a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD that the original headlights lasted over 10 years/nearly 85000 miles and the replacement bulbs were less than the Allas.
So that is why I was surprised to only get 2 years but oh well.
I’ll get something better this time.
Were they OEM Halogens? If so, they will last MUCH longer. My guess is there light output wasn't great. Lower output Halogens will last longer than any Halogen that has more output.

The other option, was that they were HID's. HID's have a long life for the bulb, in general, because the ballast does the work. Longer than halogens, and generate more light, with less power.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! I know these are consumable items but I thought they would last longer than 2 years - or, is that the the life expectancy of LEDs these days?
I use auxito brand and get 2-3 years out of them. A pair of headlights usually cost $60-$70. And I use lasfit for turn signals, brake lights & backup lights. I prefer the Lasfit resistors since they are killer bright and don't cause hyperflash but that can be fixed with forscan. I can give you links to what I used in my 2017 Expy EL and two F150's - both use basically the same models between vehicles for the different lighting positions

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t speak to all manufacturers as to longevity. I myself am running a set of Philips Ultinon 7000 LEDs (imported from the UK). They are no longer in production. They were certified in several European countries to be a like for like replacement for halogens. It seams Philips has stopped making the ones I have installed and are only making LED fog lights now.

The Philips I’m running have been in for 3+years and are still going strong.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a GREAT site! Never seen it before, thanks! I used to use the OSRAM Nightbreakers also, but they are harder to source in the US, and last set I got were not actually OSRAM, but a knock off. The Silverstar Ultra's I could pickup at the local Advance, and most of the time on sale, if I didn't wait until they were blown.
Stumbled upon it a few years ago while doing research on if LEDs were safe to use in projector housings. While not technically legal to use in any housing, there are LEDs that mimic the pattern of halogens very well and this site really took the time to test out hundreds of lights to gather data for consumer use.

John I

Reaction score
I tried both the Osram Nightbreakers and the Silverstar Ultras for my 2019 XLT and initially found each brand to be an improvement over the stock bulbs. But within months of installation the light output seemed to yellow and dim.
I DM'd fellow member Anthony DeVor and following his suggestion I went with Auxito LED's for low, high, and fog lamps and have been very pleased. I lost some of the light from one of my low beams at just under 2 years, but Auxito sent free replacements. (Warranty period was 2 years at the time of original purchase.)
I would buy them again, fwiw.

OpticonBill

Reaction score
Driving at night I frequently come upon an oncoming vehicle with lights so bright I literally cannot see the road in front of me. I would like to share the experience back. So, I'm now looking for replacement lights for my Expedition. What I'm looking for is a pair of lights that folks for at least quarter mile around the vehicle will think it's the Second Coming. When I pull up behind someone, I want the paint on the car in front of me to start peeling off. Anybody sell a light like that?