alternator issues now no sound from radio???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was having issue with the alternator that when getting on the gas the battery light came on temporary and the battery gauge would hit peak power for the moment and then all would go back to normal until I got on the gas again. Found out it was the alternator even though it passed test. Replaced alternator and now the radio has power but no sound. Checked all fuses. Any suggestions?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Please don't double (or triple) post.

If the voltage regulator failed and alt sent a large jolt of voltage to the stereo it may have blown the unit.

Fuses protect from too much amperage but won't necessarily blow if too much voltage is sent through the system,

Sounds like you need a new alt and perhaps a new head unit.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has no sound in any mode (radio, CD, tape, etc).

Have you checked fuses 3 and 5 from the engine mini fuse box? For location, see page 139 of your manual.

Check fuse 5 in the fuse box under your steering wheel.

I know you said you checked them, just wanna make sure :)

Not sure if this works with your year Expy, but apparently, the head units of the 2000+ have a diagnostic speaker "walk around" mode. Press and hold the 3 and 6 keys at the same time. The head unit has to be in radio mode. If you hear no sound, it's most likely time for a new head unit :)

EDIT: Oh yea, went ahead and deleted the duplicated threads...

Last edited: