Alternator Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mothra

Reaction score
Current alternator is of unknown origin installed by previous owner. I am getting intermittent battery light on the dash and Forscan codes that indicate various low/high voltage conditions. I suspect the alternator as the issue and was looking to put in 150 amp unit. Wondering if its worth the extra cost to get a new motorcraft or is a remanufactured unit from my local autozone good enough?

2008 Ford Expedetion EL limited 2wd

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
intermittent battery light on the dash and Forscan codes that indicate various low/high voltage conditions. I suspect the alternator as the issue and was looking to put in 150 amp unit.
It could be anything in your charging system.
take to Auto Zone and let them check. They have a battery checker that also checks the alternator.

If you put in the higher amp alternator, it might still get intermittent battery light. Unless you have a lot of aftermarket stuff running where you need the extra amps i would stick with the one that is suppose to go in your truck. ( Has it always done this? Maybe previous owner already put the higher amp alternator in.) Check part # if you can.

Do you have a digital volt meter?
Do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST to check your battery cables and make sure you got ground.
All these things you can do before spending money.

I have a Duralast gold alternator (from Auto Zone) in my truck for years. Not only have i had no problems with it, it also comes with limited lifetime warranty. So if it does break you take it back and get another one.

NOTICE: If you get anything with wires or a plug for wires from Advanced Auto you will be doing it twice.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be anything in your charging system.
take to Auto Zone and let them check. They have a battery checker that also checks the alternator.
That's a start, but I have had 2 now (one on an F150 and one on an Escape) that were bad, but tested just fine at Auto Zone. They both seemed to be fine for 10 min or so after connecting them before they would fail. Wasn't a big deal on the F150 since I could have it out in 10 min, but the Escape ended up costing me a lot of money (way long story). You have to remove axle, and motor mount to even get to it.

Forscan (or other OBD tool) can monitor the voltage also.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Current alternator is of unknown origin installed by previous owner. I am getting intermittent battery light on the dash and Forscan codes that indicate various low/high voltage conditions. I suspect the alternator as the issue and was looking to put in 150 amp unit. Wondering if its worth the extra cost to get a new motorcraft or is a remanufactured unit from my local autozone good enough?

2008 Ford Expedetion EL limited 2wd
Always stick with Ford Motorcraft parts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford