Andersen W/D hitch - anyone use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Fastway E2 (that worked fine with the truck) just isnt quite cutting it with the expedition. Its not that its a terrible thing or its undrivable. But from what i can tell, the IDS in the rear just allows too much bounce. And with the spring bars of the round-bar E-2, it almost accentuates the bounce.

So I started looking around the internet and found my way into a few black holes. Then i stumbled across the Andersen 'No Sway' 'No Bounce' W/D hitch. The videos look interesting, and it seems like it would make sense. And being that bounce is more of my issue than sway is... heck it might function.

But i wanted to see if anyone who is on the forums here has used it! and maybe some feedback.

FWIW i'm town a 25.5' box, 29' bumper to hitch TT - 5300 dry, so assum 6000ish loaded, maybe 600 TW

Thanks!

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your trailer matches mine exactly, but my tongue weight fully loaded with water is in the 900 pound range (that took me completely by surprise). I'm towing with an XLT EL with stock suspension (no airbags, helper springs, or auto level wizardry). Maybe you just need to increase the tension on your bars or get stronger bars. I'm using the 800-1000 pound bars on my husky centerline TS (appears to be identical to your E2), and I have zero bounce even when fully loaded.

What sort of drop are you getting in the rear when hitched with your Bars tight? Mine is about 1/2" to 1" as measured from the ground to the center of the rear wheel arch. The same measurement at my front wheel arches is no change from unloaded. If you have rise in the front when hitched, you will bounce.

Now to get my bars that tight, I have drop the trailer on the ball and latch it (this bottoms out the expy suspension), then use my power tongue jack and extension foot to raise the trailer and rear of the expy nearly to full extension on the jack, then use the prybar tool to muscle the bars into place. They are tight and unless I'm perfectly straight with the trailer and level side to side, they are even harder to hitch up. Often when leaving campground I have to hitch the ball and then pull the trailer forward to get straight and level before putting the bars into place. With this setup, I have zero bounce and very minimal sway if any.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've got the 800lb E2 bars on there and they are tight for sure. I'm wondering if too tight, they have a mild flex to them. Next trip out i'm going to remove a washer from the head to raise the bars slightly and get them more parallel to the trailer frame.

My wheel well heights are spot on. Maybe 1/2" drop in the rear and stock height in the front once it is hooked up. Trailer has about 1/4" drop in the front which is within spec.

It's not a HUGE bounce. its just a constant subtle bounce that gets heavier and heavier with speed. Watching the videos on the Andersen site basically maps it out. The spring bars causing the tension accentuates bouncing because of the tension. So i'm wondering if the Andersen would remove the bounce issue. Not like i'm a speed deamon. But everyone else in the state of Florida is. And being that exceeding 65 MPH just gets uncomfortable, i turn into a very large road block on I-75.

I'm taking the truck in for a 4 wheel alignment and a brake turn and bleed this weekend which should help general feel.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you running for tires on the back and air pressure? I am running the stock wranglers at 50psi when towing. I can tow at 75mph with the expy fully loaded with gear and 5 people without any bounce. (wouldn't reccomend strictly due to the speed rating of trailer tires, the ecoboost will pull at that speed uphill and down without struggle or downshift).

I've got 5 washers behind my hitch head. You might look under the truck, maybe you've got a leaking shock(s) in the back. They are a known failure point at low mileage if you tow. Mine are still hanging in there with 45k miles on the clock.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. I’ll check the pressures next time I hook up.

The shocks aren’t leaking - checked them already

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've looked at it - but Springbar WD/Anti Sway are all going to operate on the same principal for the most part. If i was going to stick with the spring bar system i would go with the Reese Dual Cam.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Equalizer(tm) 1000/10,000 pound version has been on my '02 Explorer, '07 and '17 Expeditions. Worked wonderfully on every one. Built in sway control. Tongue weight has been over 800 pounds on occasion but normally around 700. Once tuned on my '07 it was plug-n-play on my '17. Biennial wash and paint.

Expedition receiver is sloppy so head angle will need all the washers you can put into this hitch.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m going to the trailer this afternoon to really give it a good once over.

I had a thought on what may be causing my “bounce”. The trailer has a storage rack built into the rear bumper that swings down and locks in place with 2 set pins. It’s almost always loaded with 4 bikes when we head out. So I’m thinking that it’s bouncing over bumps and such and the trailer is transferring that to the hitch, and that’s what I’m feeling.

We remove the storage rack and swap it for a bumper mounted bike rack.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Any weight on the trailer rear bumper will de-load the tongue -- and you need 10% - 15% of the trailer's weight on the ball.

Also weights at the ends of anything like a trailer or boat will cause hobby-horsing (bobbing up and down).

-- Chuck