Andersen W/D hitch - anyone use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to the trailer today to give it a once over and the more I look at that factory storage platform the more I think it’s a good idea with negative results.

Going to remove and solid mount the spare to the rear bumper and do a hitch mounted bike rack for the family bikes.

Camping again in 2 weekends - will repost with results.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I use the Andersen, but I’m still not sure if I’ve gotten everything correct. Sometimes things seem grand, but in the last 20 miles of my trip the trailer felt squirrelly. Maybe my shocks are flaky (2013 with 80k.)

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you taken the loaded trailer to the scales to verify your tongue weight? I was surprised to find out how much mine was which made me go up a hole on my trailer saddles. My first test pull with empty trailer after buying my expedition did have a little bounce despite setting up the hitch according to the manual. Once I went up a notch on the saddles (putting more load on the bars) things settled down nicely. My stated dry tongue weight is 498 pounds, but loaded for camp with full propane, dual 6v batteries, and water puts that over 900 pounds. That's enough to make anything bounce if everything isn't dialed in just right. I wish I had a rack on the back so I could push more weight in back of the axle but my lightweight trailer cannot accommodate that. Also figure 15% tongue weight, that's 900 pounds for a 6k pound trailer.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the highway concrete? I used to have a similar sized trailer. I was once on this stretch of highway that is all concrete. I was bouncing enough I had to pull over and check everything out. I thought the WD failed. As it turns out it was due to a phonomia called "harmonic bouncing." I was fine after I got off that concrete.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using the Andersen WDH for years...never any bounce, not to mention no sway. The Andersen weight tolerances range widely...0-1400/0-14,000 so you can handle some fairly hefty trailers out there. My lite trailer doesn't get any heavier than 3,500 lbs...hitch weight is about 300-400.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1805D95C-13E3-4344-89D0-7A6EB4C6AE1C.jpeg I do need to take it in and get a fully accurate weight. I have been guessing on the highsides for everything. Only one battery and spec says 612 hitch weight dry. I don’t ride with full water. And load on the front storage on the trailer is maybe 50lbs of tools/gear + 2 propane tanks. I try and keep the storage well ballasted with the rear

I really think removing the jostling storage rack and spare tire will make a difference.

Attached is the only picture I have of the set-up. But if you zoom in you can see it’s held with hitch pins. Imagine that turned parallel with the ground re-hitched pinnned on either side. imagine that bounce.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the highway concrete? I used to have a similar sized trailer. I was once on this stretch of highway that is all concrete. I was bouncing enough I had to pull over and check everything out. I thought the WD failed. As it turns out it was due to a phonomia called "harmonic bouncing." I was fine after I got off that concrete.
I-95 SB in GA. In a 31' Class C, and the concrete slab joints were spaced just right for the speed I was moving, and in only about 30 seconds it was jumping so much that stuff was coming off the counters, you could hear the silverware jingling, and the spouse was not happy (trying to sleep on the rear bed). It was literally jumping off the ground. All 15,000 lbs of it.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Anderson for 13,000 miles of towing my 5500lb trailer last year. All over the country, through the mountains etc. worked perfectly and super easy to use.
dbb0994e43b6b12132797aba93adadc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I used the Anderson for 13,000 miles of towing my 5500lb trailer last year. All over the country, through the mountains etc. worked perfectly and super easy to use.
dbb0994e43b6b12132797aba93adadc9.jpg

How many turns of the nut? I’ve found 4 is too little, and I think I’ve settled on 9ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never counted turns. I know you’re supposed to, but I honestly just set them, and used the power jack to raise the trailer tongue while attached to the ball until the chains slackened. Then I removed the triangle plate, dropped the jack, unlocked the ball lock on the tongue and then raised the trailer again and drove away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants