Another 04 Trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt W

Reaction score
So we hit the road for our holiday pulling a little trailer that weighs 1500 lbs.

70 km down the highway and it goes into neutral.

At the time I had the OD turned OFF cuz we were in the Mountains.

Put it up into Neutral and back down to Drive, got back up to 100 km/hr went 1/4 mile and it dropped out of gear again.

At the time, NO check engine light, No OD light flashing.

Got pulled over onto a service road, checked the oil..... Level perfect....... still nice pink no stink. Same rules apply elsewhere..........

Sat for a bit and let things cool off, pulled back on the highway,

Went two miles.....

Same thing.

This time the OD light started flashing, still no check engine light.

Put it down into Second and pulled off on another service road.

Took gravel back roads the 70 km back home in second gear..... at 60 km/hr.

The OD light would flash intermittently, but no 3rd or 4th gears if I moved the shifter back into Drive.

Got home, and hit yee olde Google.....

I don't have a scanner that will read Transmission codes, neighbor does, but his is at work, gonna bring it home but not till Monday....

I see its a common issue, clutches, broken snap rings, shifter solenoids etc etc etc.....

Decided I'd pull the pan, for ***** and giggles till I get the code reader.

As I pulled it around to my shop door, I decided to take er for a boot down the road, see if it did it again.

We'd been home for 2 hrs so it had cooled off quite a bit.

Went for a 20 km drive aaaaannnnnnddddd........

It drove friggen perfectly.

Could hardly feel the shifts.

All gears worked flawlessly.

I wasn't nice to it either. Tried to get it as hot as I could. Still shifted awesome.

So Cool Story Bro.....

Anyone got any potential Ideas (ahemmm proof to the wife I NEED to get a built trans) until I get the scanner and see what it says?

Cept she's cranky we're not going on a holiday now..... Oy.

Cheers