Another Expedition, maybe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony G

Reaction score
Hello all. Me again.
I bailed on the one last week, thank you all. You helped me make a decision on it.
Found another one today, just got back from a drive, it seems ok but I have a couple of concerns. Once again I ask for your help.

Found a quart of oil in it, empty, guy says it burns about a quart every 2000 miles on the 5.4. 1999 2wd XLT 183000 miles. It is a bit oily underneath on the driver front, trans looks clean under it. Drives and rides ok. We took it through a dirt road to listen for noises. Transmission has a hard shift from 1-2 under moderate acceleration, owner claims it has a shift kit, he also claims the transmission was replaced at 100k but has no paperwork. I tend to not believe that without paperwork. Kid seems honest but......
He mentioned towing and boats a couple of times and it does have the tow package, I think this has towed a bit of it's life. The cargo area is pretty dirty, grimy, oily. has 3rd row seat, has the 6 disk changer but I did not see an amp under the 2nd row seats. it will need tires. It has 255/70's which are one size too small. Fronts are not new, rears are almost new.

Oh, it has a K&N cold air intake on it. The truck is a California vehicle with cali emissions sticker under the hood and title. One top to bottom crack on the passenger side of the windscreen. I've asked him to hold it for me 3 hours so I get the impulse buy thing out of my system. He is asking 1250 for the car.. If it weren't for the possible burning oil issue and the hard shifting trans, I'd have bought it. I sort of like the thing.
What do you all think?
Thank you
Tony

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you got another rode it hard and put away wet scenario. Why not look for an adult owned vehicle that's been pampered. These prices reflect the owner trying to unload rather than fix. I wouldn't jump at this one. Head gasket leaks are common on first gens, 97-02. I'd never buy a transmission with a shift kit, in a vehicle I'm buying. You think that 1-2 upshift is aggravating now, give it 6 months. I'd move on to #3. Look online, or car lots, preferably dealership. Stay away from kids cars, they usually treat them poorly. That's been my experience. You want to buy a Suv that's as close to no issues as possible. You'll thank yourself later.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Anthony G

Reaction score
Sounds like you got another rode it hard and put away wet scenario. Why not look for an adult owned vehicle that's been pampered. These prices reflect the owner trying to unload rather than fix. I wouldn't jump at this one. Head gasket leaks are common on first gens, 97-02. I'd never buy a transmission with a shift kit, in a vehicle I'm buying. You think that 1-2 upshift is aggravating now, give it 6 months. I'd move on to #3. Look online, or car lots, preferably dealership. Stay away from kids cars, they usually treat them poorly. That's been my experience. You want to buy a Suv that's as close to no issues as possible. You'll thank yourself later.

Thank you. It does look a bit rode hard.

BTW. I keep looking at this cheap ass price range because I'm Poor. Medically disabled, fixed income, yada yada. I'm not in danger of being homeless, I just don't have 4000 or even 3000 bucks for a car.
Thank you all. You are great

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel your pain, but buying a cheap vehicle, and expecting no problems, is like depending on winning the lottery, to pay your bills each month. As much as I love my Suv, mines a 2000, paid $3000.00 almost 5 years ago, and still had to put in $800.00 just in tires the first month, another $200.00 in front end parts. And mine felt next to perfect, and only had 64,000 miles when I purchased it. Imagine triple the mileage, along with abuse. Oh yeah, in the 4 1/2 years I've installed brakes front and rear, a starter, an alternator, and belt. I've done most of the work myself and still I'm in to $1700.00 parts and some paid labor. Cars/trucks are an expense, I know you want to be mobile again, just prepare for some expenses, except for brand new, their always is. And new, you gotta huge payment each month, plus high insurance, and registration. You plunk money down either way.