Another winter/summer tire video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know there is always discussion here on tires. It was a pretty cool video on the difference of summer and winter tires in their respective seasons.

yellowlight

Reaction score
Do you really change your tires after winter? Back in the day, my father never did. He would always have winter tires regardless of the weather.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you really change your tires after winter? Back in the day, my father never did. He would always have winter tires regardless of the weather.

The trouble with running winter tires in hot weather is that the tread wear is significantly reduced since the rubber compounds are so soft and are meant to stay flexible in cold/freezing weather. I have a separate set of wheels with my all-season tires that I use for spring/summer/fall, and then I switch to my wheels with the snow tires for winter.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Maybe his dad lived in Wyoming and winter was 10 months out of the year?
I....suppose?

That being said, I can remember years ago when the winter tires had rubber so hard it might as well have been plastic and the tires we would put on cars would remind me of the same tires we now put on lifted off road trucks. Those tires had huge lugs and weren't very pretty.

Maybe he still uses that kind of a tire.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a good video. I didn’t realize winter tires weren’t good in summer besides tread wear. I’m bad, I always run all seasons.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm certainly not going to have two sets of tires for my car.
Now I used to have a set of slicks in the trunk or my 67 GTO. Would drive to test and tune and swap the wheels to race.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to swap wheels/tire on my last car as I had snows mounted up and summer tires. When I put the snow tires on, the car immediately felt a ton slower, because the squishy rubber on the snow tires would squirm when you hit the gas and you lost a lot of performance. This was on a 400hp Hemi.
The snow tires made it easy to get around in any snow conditions, but it was annoying swapping the wheels and tires every 6 months. The winter tires really sucked on bare roads. I could spin new ones at 40 mph, but the summer tires hooked up at almost any speed. definitely the right tire for the right season is preferred.