Any high performance radiators for these things? And electric fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low trying to find a radiator setup that is better than factory in theory we should be able to use F150 radiators which would mean an all aluminum Mishimoto setup can be used. But past that are there any 2 core or 3 core setups? I live in the desert and it gets damned hot here in West Texas, as of this posting we are due to see 112 degrees. Now while I'm not having any real temp issues I do like to try and "future proof" things, did with with my mustang and I'm in the process of doing it with my second Lightning. I figure I'd ask to see if anyone here as picked up an Expy direct replacement as well as done an electric fan swap....kinda tired of this thing sounding like a UPS truck despite me installing a new water pump, clutch and fan....and let's face it the extra bit of power and minimal gas mileage increase from electric fans is a plus. So....info...options??

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Do you have a radiator shop in your town ? They can custom build you one.

Flex-A-Lite makes a conversion fan : https://www.flex-a-lite.com/direct-...-duty-expedition-navigator-and-blackwood.html

Never thought about having a radiator shop do me one. I'll call around for sure.

As for the flexalite setup....have they fixed their ****** fan controller issues? I've been heavily considering doing a raptor fan setup as I figure a 6.2l that's made to play in the desert would work fine here

TomB985

Reaction score
Do you tow anything?

I have a tough time thinking of a situation where the factory radiator would be insufficient. Even flogging this thing from stoplight to stoplight towing the boat, I can't get coolant temperatures over 210° with outside temperatures in the mid-90's. Electric cooling fans would be nice, though.

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Do you tow anything?

I have a tough time thinking of a situation where the factory radiator would be insufficient. Even flogging this thing from stoplight to stoplight towing the boat, I can't get coolant temperatures over 210° with outside temperatures in the mid-90's. Electric cooling fans would be nice, though.

It sometimes tows my lightning, but past that it's the family tank and 4x4 toy. I havent been able to get the temp gauge to even the middle, but I'd like to make things better...hell if I could find a better higher performance condenser and stuff for the AC I'd be swapping things. (Anyone make a better performing AC condenser?).
As for electric fans I really want em, but I'm not gonna dive in and swap em and be "meh" about it. I honestly think a Raptor setup would be bes . The flexalite setup looks good as well....but I dont trust their controllers since their controllers used to go up in smoke with ease. I'd also like to use an inline water temp sensor for it so I'd have to cut the radiator hose

Peter Brown

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low trying to find a radiator setup that is better than factory in theory we should be able to use F150 radiators which would mean an all aluminum Mishimoto setup can be used. But past that are there any 2 core or 3 core setups? I live in the desert and it gets damned hot here in West Texas, as of this posting we are due to see 112 degrees. Now while I'm not having any real temp issues I do like to try and "future proof" things, did with with my mustang and I'm in the process of doing it with my second Lightning. I figure I'd ask to see if anyone here as picked up an Expy direct replacement as well as done an electric fan swap....kinda tired of this thing sounding like a UPS truck despite me installing a new water pump, clutch and fan....and let's face it the extra bit of power and minimal gas mileage increase from electric fans is a plus. So....info...options??
My 2004 XLT is an old police commander's unit. It came with a pusher fan on it with an switch mounted below the headlight switch.
With that fan on and at highway speeds, it's Antarctica, even in South Texas heat.

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
My 2004 XLT is an old police commander's unit. It came with a pusher fan on it with an switch mounted below the headlight switch.
With that fan on and at highway speeds, it's Antarctica, even in South Texas heat.

Can you post a pic of this pusher setup? Kinda curious

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score

At highway speed, that electric fan isn’t doing any good.