Any idea what does HD tow package do for 22 timberline?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThYenAlPyH

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just ordered 22 Timberline trim with 501A. I was comparing what come with HD Tow package comparing to standard features. It seems that integrated trailer brake controller and pro trailer backup assist are the only two that didn't come with standard feature. Am I miss anything here? Is it a big deal if I decide to tow something? (I rarely tow anything but thinking maybe I can tow a small trailer for road trip)

Thanks!

Chromo

Reaction score
You will get the 7 pin harness but I think you are correct about not too much more, and it looks like you loose Active Park Assist 2.0. If you are towing a small trailer for an occasional road trip you will be fine without the HD Tow package, as towing capacity should still be around 6,000 lbs. HD tow package will bump it up to 9,000+ lbs.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Not sure if the Timberline includes it as part of the base spec, but on other trims the Heavy Duty Tow Pkg. gets you the 2-speed transfer case. 4L can be handy in some applications, especially boat launches.

OP
OP
T

ThYenAlPyH

Reaction score
Not sure if the Timberline includes it as part of the base spec, but on other trims the Heavy Duty Tow Pkg. gets you the 2-speed transfer case. 4L can be handy in some applications, especially boat launches.
yes, this is standard timberline feature listed: ControlTrac with eLSD (Electronic Limited-slip Differential 3.73) Rear Axle and Two-Speed Transfer Case (4High/4Low) with Neutral Towing Capability. Apart from that, it also comes with Heavy duty engine radiator as standard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

ThYenAlPyH

Reaction score
Since looks like only integrated trailer brake controller and pro trailer backup assist are the missing options in timberline trim, I was wondering whether timberline has the same towing capacity even without HD tow package?

Brut4ce

Reaction score
yes, this is standard feature listed: ControlTrac with eLSD (Electronic Limited-slip Differential 3.73) Rear Axle and Two-Speed Transfer Case (4High/4Low) with Neutral Towing Capability. Apart from that, it also comes with Heavy duty engine radiator as standard.
Heavy-Duty Engine Radiator has been removed from the HeavyDuty Trailer Tow Package (536).

OP
OP
T

ThYenAlPyH

Reaction score
Heavy-Duty Engine Radiator has been removed from the HeavyDuty Trailer Tow Package (536).
oh, so this is not something to help increase the tow capacity? Do you know which options in HD tow package that helps to improve the tow capacity?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want it? If anything it will help with resale.

BrianM

Reaction score
oh, so this is not something to help increase the tow capacity? Do you know which options in HD tow package that helps to improve the tow capacity?
The HD Tow Package increases the towing capacity substantially. Without it, you can't tow much more than a mid-sized SUV. With the HD package you can tow 9000+. That's the main benefit of the HD package, and I wouldn't order an Expy without it.

rallyhard

Reaction score
The HD Tow Package increases the towing capacity substantially. Without it, you can't tow much more than a mid-sized SUV. With the HD package you can tow 9000+. That's the main benefit of the HD package, and I wouldn't order an Expy without it.

I think the first part of his question was about removal of the HD radiator from the HD tow package; basically "does the HD radiator help increase the tow capacity or not". If it does help, it's odd that Ford removed it from the HD tow package for 2022, while including it as part of the Timberline package.

The second part was asking if anybody knows what specific changes ARE made to the truck when you add the HD tow package. We know the tow package increases the tow rating Ford provides, but I haven't seen a detailed breakdown of what the mechanical differences are between the rigs with and without it.