Any1 Flat-Towing / Recreational Towing (Expy)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone is flat towing their Expy...

What base plates are you using?
What lighting solution are you using (factory lighting/diodes or other lights)?

I've towed our '17 F350 and want to tow our Expy/Max - looking for the experiences of others.

upload_2020-4-5_21-30-30.jpeg

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm also looking into this at the moment, anyone else make a 4th gen a toad yet?
What equipment are you using?

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why more vehicles don't offer this. I almost feel every Jeep sold allows this--and it is a nice feature for the Expy, considering so few offer it and I feel like I might utilize this one day.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why more vehicles don't offer this. I almost feel every Jeep sold allows this--and it is a nice feature for the Expy, considering so few offer it and I feel like I might utilize this one day.
Agreed! I'd think any 4x4 with a low range transfer case should have this capability...

@bushpilot, I know I'm resurrecting an older thread here, but, did you ever come up with a solution for a 4th gen? I think I found some stuff that would possibly work, but interested in any real world experiences. Low fuss is my aim. Need the brakes to flat tow this beast and I've read elsewhere about keeping the battery of the expy as a toad connected otherwise the e brake comes on? I can see that being a PITA, big time...

Also, is that a Renegade? In confused because it looked like a Classic but has a Haulmark emblem on it? What's going on there?

OP
OP
B

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bushpilot, I know I'm resurrecting an older thread here, but, did you ever come up with a solution for a 4th gen? I think I found some stuff that would possibly work, but interested in any real world experiences. Low fuss is my aim. Need the brakes to flat tow this beast and I've read elsewhere about keeping the battery of the expy as a toad connected otherwise the e brake comes on? I can see that being a PITA, big time...

Also, is that a Renegade? In confused because it looked like a Classic but has a Haulmark emblem on it? What's going on there?

@byathread -

I have not (yet) base-plates for my '20 expy/max. Roadmaster offers 2 options - I will go w the Direct Connect (524457-5) set up

Roadmaster Baseplate Kit 524457-5 is available from E-Trailer for $435 (I'll shop around)

Blue Ox also makes a base-plate:
P/N BX2682 which is more expensive (that the roadmaster, god knows why)....both kits require drilling (not a bad thing).

I use a portable (brake buddy) for supplemental braking in the "toad" - its really for liability more than anything - my coach doesnt need the toad braking.

Connecting a battery charge wire between the toad & coach is easy (you can pick up the charge wire off the 7 pin trailer connector.

Our coach is a HAULMARK (competitor to Renegade)....same chassis and construction as well as shared components - it is comparable to the "classic", built on a Class 8 Tractor chassis, 12.8L in-line 6 cylinder, intercooler turbo, diesel....450hp, 1650 tq - mated to a 12speed AMT (automated manual trans)....

AMTs are "two pedal" set ups, no clutch pedal - AMTs do not use torque converters, they use conventional dry clutch like a manual, theres a paddle shifter on the steering column if you want to run all 12 forward (or 2 reverse) gears - better to leave it in "auto" mode and let it skip shift as throttle demand and load dictate.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bushpilot, Nice rig! I'll be PA registered, so, it's required for me regardless of what I'm pulling it with. Do you pull anything else with it, like part of the state of TX? Never even saw a Haulmark coach before aside from the nicer box trailers around here. Looked them up and those and the Renegade Classics are soo very nice. Beyond what I'd personally need/use, but totally awesome nonetheless.

In weighing my TOAD options, Roadmaster looks like they have some good stuff/decent quality that is low fuss once installed, so, thanks for the input... Much appreciated!

Dewey3

Reaction score
Agreed! I'd think any 4x4 with a low range transfer case should have this capability...

@byathread -

I have not (yet) base-plates for my '20 expy/max. Roadmaster offers 2 options - I will go w the Direct Connect (524457-5) set up

Roadmaster Baseplate Kit 524457-5 is available from E-Trailer for $435 (I'll shop around)

Blue Ox also makes a base-plate:
P/N BX2682 which is more expensive (that the roadmaster, god knows why)....both kits require drilling (not a bad thing).

I use a portable (brake buddy) for supplemental braking in the "toad" - its really for liability more than anything - my coach doesnt need the toad braking.

Connecting a battery charge wire between the toad & coach is easy (you can pick up the charge wire off the 7 pin trailer connector.

Our coach is a HAULMARK (competitor to Renegade)....same chassis and construction as well as shared components - it is comparable to the "classic", built on a Class 8 Tractor chassis, 12.8L in-line 6 cylinder, intercooler turbo, diesel....450hp, 1650 tq - mated to a 12speed AMT (automated manual trans)....

AMTs are "two pedal" set ups, no clutch pedal - AMTs do not use torque converters, they use conventional dry clutch like a manual, theres a paddle shifter on the steering column if you want to run all 12 forward (or 2 reverse) gears - better to leave it in "auto" mode and let it skip shift as throttle demand and load dictate.

Since you all brought up an older thread, here's a thread I just started yesterday where I ran into a problem because of my FX4 package: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...skid-plate-for-regular-underside-cover.46617/

I pulled my skid plate yesterday and am now in the middle of installing the base plate. I pulled the skid plate's frame mounted speed nut off this morning and found as expected, the hole where the skid plate was mounted to the frame is already large enough that I will not have to do any drilling at all to install my base plate. The way cars are prefabbed these days, I wouldn't be surprised if you find that you already have the 3rd hole in your frame even if you don't have a skid plate. The only thing I would strongly recommend if you go to a base plate that uses the tow hook bumper holes (I think they all do), is that you do not destroy or throw away the rubber boots in those holes. Once the rubber boots are removed, it you look straight into the tow hook hole, you will see that the bottom portion of the inside of the frame rail will be exposed to the elements. I cut the insides out of our tow hook boots, and will reuse them once the base plates are installed (pictures attached).

For battery charger I bought RVi Brake's Towed Battery Charger Plus since I was very happy with the original RVi Brake battery charger on our previous '15 Explorer, but it didn't work for AGM batteries. The newer Towed Battery Charger Plus works for all batteries.

For braking, I will continue to use by RVi Brake 2 that I used in the Explorer.

BootMount.jpg Boot.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled my skid plate yesterday and am now in the middle of installing the base plate. I pulled the skid plate's frame mounted speed nut off this morning and found as expected, the hole where the skid plate was mounted to the frame is already large enough that I will not have to do any drilling at all to install my base plate. The way cars are prefabbed these days, I wouldn't be surprised if you find that you already have the 3rd hole in your frame even if you don't have a skid plate. The only thing I would strongly recommend if you go to a base plate that uses the tow hook bumper holes (I think they all do), is that you do not destroy or throw away the rubber boots in those holes. Once the rubber boots are removed, it you look straight into the tow hook hole, you will see that the bottom portion of the inside of the frame rail will be exposed to the elements. I cut the insides out of our tow hook boots, and will reuse them once the base plates are installed (pictures attached).

For battery charger I bought RVi Brake's Towed Battery Charger Plus since I was very happy with the original RVi Brake battery charger on our previous '15 Explorer, but it didn't work for AGM batteries. The newer Towed Battery Charger Plus works for all batteries.

For braking, I will continue to use by RVi Brake 2 that I used in the Explorer.

@Dewey3 -

Thanks!
I have battery maintainer connections at the front and rear of my vehicles - the generator on our coach is at the back of the coach (easy access to 12v battery connection for the gen)....I run an extension from the coach to my toad(s) and leverage the battery maintainer connection (w/ diode).

OP
OP
B

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bushpilot, Nice rig! I'll be PA registered, so, it's required for me regardless of what I'm pulling it with. Do you pull anything else with it, like part of the state of TX? Never even saw a Haulmark coach before aside from the nicer box trailers around here. Looked them up and those and the Renegade Classics are soo very nice. Beyond what I'd personally need/use, but totally awesome nonetheless.

In weighing my TOAD options, Roadmaster looks like they have some good stuff/decent quality that is low fuss once installed, so, thanks for the input... Much appreciated!

@byathread -

Thanks!

theyre all the same really....Showhauler is another one as is NRC conversions....they all use the same components (fridge, air conditioners, water heaters etc)...most are built on either Freightliner or Volvo Class 8 extended frames...some will do peter built and now western star too...were rated for 40k lbs towing.

Nice thing about conversions type coaches is the protection up front and the serviceability (any truck stop and parts are common....100,000s on the road built for 1M miles.

conversion type coaches that have dual rear axles have the advantage of both axles being DRIVEN (differentials in each rear axle)....diffs can be locked and axles can be locked together (ala 8 wheel drive)....on a pusher bus the 2nd axle is a singled tire and not driven.

We also tow a Jeep Wrangler and an occasional 24' trailer

upload_2021-2-15_13-0-18.jpeg

upload_2021-2-15_13-0-38.jpeg

Heres an impressive set up....maybe one day ill upgrade.....

upload_2021-2-15_13-0-56.png

OP
OP
B

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being able to flat tow has its advantages....I have driven the truck to the dealership, dropped the truck off for work and driven the jeep home.....

f350WranglerJeepToadJPG.jpg