Want to Change FX4 Skid Plate for Regular Underside Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewey3

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part numbers for the front-most "skid plate", or should I say underside cover for the non-FX4 Expys... or do they have anything at all up front? I was getting ready to installed the base plate equipment for towing our Expy behind our motorhome when I discovered that the FX4 skid plate forward-most mount uses the frame holes that are required for the base plate. So unless I can come up with some type of way of customizing (fabricating) the two forward-most FX4 skid plate mounting brackets, I need to ditch the front FX4 skid plate. I know that's backwards going from the sturdier FX4 skid plate to the felt covered cardboard that Ford uses up front, that is, if they use one at all up front, but the integrity of the base plate that allows the 5,600 pound Expy to be pulled behind a motorhome is miles ahead of the need for the FX4 skid plate.

I know this is extra information unnecessary to this question, but for anyone who comes across this post because they want to do the same, the problem location is @ 5:20 in this video if you should happen to have the FX4 package (the video uses a F150, but the mounting is the same for the Expy):

20210212_131840.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The non-FX4 models are completely open between the front of the engine and the radiator/front air dam. There is no felt shield that goes in the area you are describing on the non-FX4 models.

One of the OEM felt shields covers the steering rack/bottom of the engine, and the 2nd OEM felt shield covers the bottom of the transmission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added the front fx4 skid plate to my platinum. @scottdm is correct, it's just open between bumper cover and the steering bits. There was one plate I removed and it was at the front of the steering area. My guess is that's all you will need to replace if you decided to remove the front.

If I get time today I will rummage through my parts to get a Pic for you.

OP
OP
D

Dewey3

Reaction score
Thanks all thus far! Since the installation of the base plate does not result in any alterations other than cutting the rubber boots around the OEM tow hooks, for now I'm thinking I will hold on to the skid plate in case we stop towing in the not so far future. @scottdm and @TheDoug , thanks, I really appreciate the info. If the non-FX4 model does not have anything where the FX4's skid plate is, that makes my decision much easier since we don't have any rock climbing plans... serious snow, mud, grass, fields, and foot type paths, maybe, but washout hills and rock climbing, most likely NOT. The ideal solution would be to fabricate new mounts since altering the OEM mounts is likely not possible, but I don't know where to start there.

SkidPlate.jpg BasePlate.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all thus far! Since the installation of the base plate does not result in any alterations other than cutting the rubber boots around the OEM tow hooks, for now I'm thinking I will hold on to the skid plate in case we stop towing in the not so far future. @scottdm and @TheDoug , thanks, I really appreciate the info. If the non-FX4 model does not have anything where the FX4's skid plate is, that makes my decision much easier since we don't have any rock climbing plans... serious snow, mud, grass, fields, and foot type paths, maybe, but washout hills and rock climbing, most likely NOT. The ideal solution would be to fabricate new mounts since altering the OEM mounts is likely not possible, but I don't know where to start there.

View attachment 40419 View attachment 40420

From watching the F150 video it seems like the base plate mounting points are where the tow hooks used to mount (further forward on the frame from the skid plate mounting point), so seems like the skid plate mount would be unaffected. Does the base plate extend far enough past the rearward tow hook mounting bolt hole to obstruct the skid plate mounting hole? You'll have to take a photo when the base plate is installed.

OP
OP
D

Dewey3

Reaction score
From watching the F150 video it seems like the base plate mounting points are where the tow hooks used to mount (further forward on the frame from the skid plate mounting point), so seems like the skid plate mount would be unaffected. Does the base plate extend far enough past the rearward tow hook mounting bolt hole to obstruct the skid plate mounting hole? You'll have to take a photo when the base plate is installed.

Yes, on our "regular length" FX4, the screw supporting the skid plate mount is exactly where I would have to drill the 3rd hole for the base plate, 3 inches behind the previous bolt hole (I have also visually verified this by holding the base plate up against the frame rail while the tow hook is removed). In fact, I suspect I will not have to do any drilling and am expecting the hole for that skid plate mount to be the same diameter as the other two forward holes. The picture in my original post shows the 1st tow hook hole with the bolt removed, the 2nd hole with the bolt still loosely in place, then the skid plate mount, exactly where the 3rd hole for the base plate would have to be drilled. Since the F150 and Expy share the same chassis, I'm wondering if your observations would be correct if our Expy was a Max.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the video, and see what you're seeing. That is a little deceiving, because the F150 probably has a different mounting skid plate (if it has one at all). Even in the video, if that F150 had a skid plate mounted in front of that radiator brace, there would not have been anywhere for him to drill that 3rd hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dewey3

Reaction score

Given the fact that this project is not going "exactly" like it is supposed to based on the installation instructions, I am really taking my time by taking "stop and ponder" breaks every time I complete another part... kind of like measure twice, cut once. I'll probably install the base plates (passenger side pictured) tomorrow after sleeping on it. The 3 holes required for mounting the base plates are pointed out by the red arrows in the 1st picture. The center and right side arrows are the 2 bolts that secured the now removed tow hook to the frame. In addition to re-using those 2 bolts, the 3rd base plate bolt is "normally" installed by drilling a hole where the left-most arrow is pointing. In my case, that is exactly where the now removed skid plate was mounted as evidenced by the speed nut I left after removing the skid plate. Finally, is the engine on non-FX4 Expys really this exposed as shown in the 3rd picture after removing the skid plate ???

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picture is worth a 1000 words! Yeah, unfortunately, the front of the engine is pretty wide open as you've observed on non-FX4 models without the skid plate. If the holes all line up and you wanted to retain the skid plate, you could cut a piece of flat stock for a spacer that's the same thickness as the skid plate bracket and sandwich the skid plate bracket and spacer between the base plate and the frame when you tighten down the 3 mounting bolts.

OP
OP
D

Dewey3

Reaction score
Well, following-up on this thread and as a direct result of my communication with Demco and eTrailer, Demco has added "No FX4" to their Expedition base plate (good, so others can be forewarned), and eTrailer has removed the "There won't be any issues with the FX4 or Heavy Duty Tow Package" from their FAQ answer (attached).

In an update to this post, eTrailer did reach out to me and said they will work with me on a return. So now the hard question for me is do I just go with the return and admit total defeat since there are not any base plates that will work with the Expedition FX4, or do I just drop the skid plate for now and find someone who can help me with fabricating a new skid plate bracket? I like the idea of finding someone to fabricate a bracket and sure wish there was help from eTrailer there ... decisions, decisions, decisions.

eTrailer.jpg

Last edited: