Anyone experienced transfer case issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Navigator Reserve 4x4 and tow package.

I’m having an issue when I engage 4L. Once engaged it behaves like it’s not completely engaged and it immediately lunges and pops under throttle. I stop, disengage, move a little and engage again. After a couple attempts it works. Recently I’m experiencing a similar phenomenon while in regular 4 wheel drive. It’s clearly not engaging properly.

Any one had this issue before? I want any info I can get before I contact the dealer.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you run in 4 Auto, does it make any similar noises? If it's still noisy in 4 Auto, it may be your hubs acting up since the transfer case only engages when it detects wheel slip on the front axle when in 4 Auto. If it's quiet in 4 Auto, it would likely be the transfer case that you're hearing in 4High, or 4 Low.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Navigator Reserve 4x4 and tow package.

I’m having an issue when I engage 4L. Once engaged it behaves like it’s not completely engaged and it immediately lunges and pops under throttle. I stop, disengage, move a little and engage again. After a couple attempts it works. Recently I’m experiencing a similar phenomenon while in regular 4 wheel drive. It’s clearly not engaging properly.

Any one had this issue before? I want any info I can get before I contact the dealer.
Might want to try it in the rain so it will slip a bit.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the transmission display is it lurching prematurely into 2nd gear when in 4L? We had an F-250 that used to do that. I think it was rectified with a computer flash….it’s been a few years though

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the transmission display is it lurching prematurely into 2nd gear when in 4L? We had an F-250 that used to do that. I think it was rectified with a computer flash….it’s been a few years though
So it’s skipping right out the gate way before making a shift. It’s clearly half engaged to the point that going any further sounds like it would cause damage.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called the dealership today to ask about this issue and if it’s something they have dealt with and could it wait for my next service. The service manager actually told me they see this a couple times a month! This is at a small dealership in our town. Ugh.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of interesting, Hasn't this transfer case been used by Ford for like 100 years? I have always heard they are pretty bullet proof? I wonder what the issue is with them?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of interesting, Hasn't this transfer case been used by Ford for like 100 years? I have always heard they are pretty bullet proof? I wonder what the issue is with them?
In most systems, 4H/4L can be pretty unforgiving if used on a surface without enough wheel slip. Just go look for the TFL truck video where they broke a drive shaft. 4L is great for pulling a heavy boat up a slippery ramp, but make sure you disengage it at the top of the ramp before you go driving around the ramp to the tie down area.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In most systems, 4H/4L can be pretty unforgiving if used on a surface without enough wheel slip. Just go look for the TFL truck video where they broke a drive shaft. 4L is great for pulling a heavy boat up a slippery ramp, but make sure you disengage it at the top of the ramp before you go driving around the ramp to the tie down area.
Agree with your ramp usage example. My main use is hilly forest service roads, especially where long stretches of down hill driving occurs. This allows for engine braking instead of actual brake pedal usage. I’ve done the brake pedal in the past and the binders just aren’t up to the task, especially if I have gear and my camper in the equation. Also, if paved surfaces are an issue for 4H it shouldn’t engage in ‘Excite’ mode.