Anyone experienced transfer case issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with your ramp usage example. My main use is hilly forest service roads, especially where long stretches of down hill driving occurs. This allows for engine braking instead of actual brake pedal usage. I’ve done the brake pedal in the past and the binders just aren’t up to the task, especially if I have gear and my camper in the equation. Also, if paved surfaces are an issue for 4H it shouldn’t engage in ‘Excite’ mode.
Have you tried just locking out all the higher gears save first? That’s what I usually do unless I’m on ice, which is when I’ll use 4L

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried just locking out all the higher gears save first? That’s what I usually do unless I’m on ice, which is when I’ll use 4L
I’ve tired this but the shift from 2 to 1 is super rough. When I’m using 4L I’m going 30mph or less so downshifting with the paddles will work but 4L is a million times easier.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Updating this thread.

Vehicle was in for service and I had them look at this issue. They claimed it was a misfire in #3 that was causing the jumping skipping whatever it’s doing. Weird because it only does it while in a 4x4 mode and never in 2x. I asked if they drove and tested it, service manager said they did. Get car delivered at my house and drove it the next morning… sure enough it still has the flipping issue. Service manager wants to do a ride along with me next week. Hopefully, this thing won’t make a liar out of me. I’ll update later.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove around with service tech today. He thinks it’s a misfire again. No codes. They come and get it in a couple weeks.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d think it would misfire when you are pulling your trailer if it’s a load related misfire. Dunno about the misfire prognosis but weird things do happen. The fact it happens in 4L maybe they should be draining the fluid and checking for metallic flakes. They do have a big fancy computer that does misfire counts, so maybe they are seeing something we can’t.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357