Apologies in advance but another paint question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmart

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I’m on my 3rd expedition (2016 limited), up until recently I had a 2010 EB that I drove for 7 yrs, like millions of other Expy’s it had flaking paint on the rear lift gate and about a quarter sized spot on the very front of the hood. The lift gate had bubbling when I bought the truck but the hood only started after it got hit by a stone and it slowly bubbled and peeled as time when by. On my new to me truck, the paint looks really solid (so far), when shopping for some new mats for the interior I came across a very low profile hood protector from WeatherTech. It appears to lay flat on the hood vs the traditional bug deflectors that just seemed to collect leaves and grit. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this type of protector? I’m wondering that although it will protect the leading edge of the hood it may trap moisture which can’t be good for the paint.
Just curious if anyone has any input

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't speak to that deflector but I took the roll-on bedliner approach on the liftgate and it's been solid. Plan on doing the same on the hood when I can make time and have the motivation. I figure a strip a few inches wide along the leading edge should address the issue.

My truck's white so color matching isn't much of an issue.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Can't speak to that deflector but I took the roll-on bedliner approach on the liftgate and it's been solid. Plan on doing the same on the hood when I can make time and have the motivation. I figure a strip a few inches wide along the leading edge should address the issue.

My truck's white so color matching isn't much of an issue.
Can you elaborate on the roll on bed liner option? Do you have pictures of what that looks like on your Expy?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the roll on bed liner option? Do you have pictures of what that looks like on your Expy?
I don't have any pictures handy of the finished product but I did find my old post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...read-fords-response.16012/page-48#post-364590

The end result looks like white bedliner, which is fine by me. Since that panel is its own thing and the blend point is covered by the rear glass it doesn't stand out at all.

I used Durabak smooth outdoor UV treated white bedliner and followed their application instructions.

Only issue I had was that I'd bought it and let it sit past its expiration date (like, a year and a half past expiration) so it had to be thinned out with xylene before I could apply it. Even then there were cured bits in there so the finished product looks more like textured bedliner than smooth. That was entirely my fault as I've had past success using their products when fresh.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani