Approach Detection - MY2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2020 Expedition Platinum. A friend has the 2019 Navigator (Reserve I think).

On his truck, he has approach detection. Is there a way to enable that on ours in Forscan, or is there a module on the Lincoln that isn't on the Expedition?

I always thought of them as pretty much the same vehicles underneath the cosmetic differences.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I googled it - it's the feature that lights up the vehicle when you approach with the keyfob...

I was thinking (hoping?) it was for detecting the slope of the ground ahead of your front wheels so you know if you're going to scrape entering a driveway or when off-roading... that would be more useful IMO. :cool:

OP
OP
Fizzy

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with "Approach Detection" - what does it do?

When you approach the truck with the key in your pocket, the power running boards deploy. Puddle (and some other) lights come on etc.

To my mind, our Expedition knows I'm standing near it with the key, because when I touch the door handle it unlocks the truck. I can't imagine an extra sensor is needed, and it should just be a setting in Forscan that is enabled on the Navigators.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing, when the battery begins to fail, this will be among the first "features" to stop working in order to save battery charge...at least that was how it worked on my wife's Aviator. But then again, that is just another extravagant bell (or whistle) Lincoln incorporates to justify charging a premium price and really not a significant absence on an Expedition.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I have scanned through the Forscan pages looking for this same option if it was config setting. I’m wondering if a Navigator Forscan sheet exists. I too would like to see if this is something to enable. I added lights to the power running boards and this would be the icing on the cake.