Auto Lights - Low Beam Exclusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's the low down...

I'm running HIDs in my 2016, they work fantastic. I'm sure as many of you know, HIDs will undoubtedly last longer if they aren't turned on and off unnecessarily.

I park in a garage. When my auto lights are enabled, I like that my interior lights come on when I first startup in the morning. But that means my HIDs will come on only for a few minutes before I start to drive out to the street. Then at work, I park in a garage again, where they would come on again.

I'm trying to think of a way how I can take advantage of the auto lights, without having to enable the low beams. Maybe just a toggle switch to choose to include the low beams or exclude them?

But I guess at the same time, what would be the difference between a toggle switch and just turning on the parking lights....but it would be a neat proof of concept.

Any ideas?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's the low down...

I'm running HIDs in my 2016, they work fantastic. I'm sure as many of you know, HIDs will undoubtedly last longer if they aren't turned on and off unnecessarily.

I park in a garage. When my auto lights are enabled, I like that my interior lights come on when I first startup in the morning. But that means my HIDs will come on only for a few minutes before I start to drive out to the street. Then at work, I park in a garage again, where they would come on again.

I'm trying to think of a way how I can take advantage of the auto lights, without having to enable the low beams. Maybe just a toggle switch to choose to include the low beams or exclude them?

But I guess at the same time, what would be the difference between a toggle switch and just turning on the parking lights....but it would be a neat proof of concept.

Any ideas?
I doubt if it makes a difference either way...….just drive it.

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same record with the 50 +- vehicles I owned with incandescent………..not an issue.

Really? Wow. I must have bad luck or something...I usually burn through bulbs and ballasts. My latest setup I went for the "best" and got factory Denso ballasts and Moromoto bulbs. Seems to work without issue, except every once in a while the driver side won't fire on first try...

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didnt even have nice systems, all of mine are from DDM Tuning. This is going back about 10 years before they went to the "digital" ballasts. Morimoto are usually quite reliable, several people I know have ran them without major issue. They erre just your average chinese ballast that looked like a small electrical junction box.

Are you powering w an external harness or relying on vehicle wiring to supply? I made myself a nice dual harness with heavy guage wire and relays that could more than handle the startup load.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? Wow. I must have bad luck or something...I usually burn through bulbs and ballasts. My latest setup I went for the "best" and got factory Denso ballasts and Moromoto bulbs. Seems to work without issue, except every once in a while the driver side won't fire on first try...
I think I have only replaced one or 2 headlights in my life and I drove for a looooong time.