Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
My ride is a 17 Expi, and I plan to add an aux Battery on a constructed shelf behind the port (excuse me, I also sail!) left wheel well. I plan to use it for an installed compressor type frig/freezer. The question is this - I also have the HD towing package, which includes charging lines for an RV battery. I went looking for the fuse for that charging circuit - and there isn’t one! I would like to use the charging line (electively) to charge the aux battery. I’m interested in your thoughts on my plan, as well as in obtaining input on where the installed charging circuit in fused. I will need to factor that information into my plan.
A more complete picture is that I want eliminate the possibility of running down the Expi start battery with overnight or longer use of the refrig. I plan to use a relay to isolate the aux battery when the Expi is not running, but to connect it when my driving day starts.
I realize I could - and maybe should - start this charging circuit at the battery, but that adds significant complexity. I am open to ideas for how to make it automatic that I can not simultaneously charge the RV battery and the aux battery in the Expi wheel well.