Auxiliary Reverse Light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah i have a white knight on the excursion...LOVE IT going to get one for the expy also.

currently though i have 2 55w work lights mounted under the bumper tapped into the trailer light back up lights.
009-7.jpg

the white knight
022-1.jpg

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check these out, they plug into the tow plug, the receiver hitch and you can still tow:
http://www.whitenight.com/

yeah i have a white knight on the excursion...LOVE IT going to get one for the expy also.

currently though i have 2 55w work lights mounted under the bumper tapped into the trailer light back up lights.
009-7.jpg

the white knight
022-1.jpg

I like the looks of that. I work in a steel fabrication shop (facilities maintenance manager) I am going to see about making a plate like that to mount some lights out of stainless steel.

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you still access the wiring connectors with that light there?

I may just drill into the recevier hitch to mount some additional lighting, like I did on my F 250. The lights use one of the upfitter switches that are available on the pickups.

All you need is a sharp drill bit and a corded drill. Too thick steel for a cordless drill.

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you still access the wiring connectors with that light there?

I may just drill into the recevier hitch to mount some additional lighting, like I did on my F 250. The lights use one of the upfitter switches that are available on the pickups.

All you need is a sharp drill bit and a corded drill. Too thick steel for a cordless drill.

The have a relocation plate to move the factory connector if needed.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Panda, we do all think you're crazy.... NC, Going through your wiring harness would be easiest, and definitely don't tap into the reverse lights or you wont have much power. If you cant use the wiring harness, I would run it to the battery with a relay and fuse. My Hellas came with all the hardware. I had to tap one of the wires from the relay into my clearance lights so the lights could only be turned on when my clearance lights were on, and have a switch inside so I can turn the Hellas on or off while the clearance lights are on. If you need a diagram for a relay, I can find one for you.

liftedpsd

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering this for some better reverse lights when backing up. Is there anyway to have them auto come on when I put it in reverse but also be able to manually switch them on? Thanks

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
liftedpsd, you can make the lights do whatever you want them to do. The question is, how much wiring experience do you have.

With something like this, you are going to want to wire up the aux lights in the rear via a relay. that way you don't overload the gear selector switch on the tranny. If you install 2 diodes (one for each function), you can have the factory wiring turn on the aux lights whenever the reverse lights are turned on and then you can use the other wire to a switch on the dash which will allow you to turn on the lights at any time. The diodes are necessary as you want to not confuse the tranny computer into thinking that the truck is in 2 gears at the same time (ie, drive and reverse) as this can cause known problems.

If you have more questions, let me know. This is pretty easy to do, but you may need more info if you are not wiring savvy.