AWD bypass in 99?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hometown Boy

Reaction score
I have a 99 with only 53000 miles. At 45000 I put new tires on the front not realizing the AWD rule of keeping equal diameter on all 4 to avoid stress on the drivetrain. So at 48000 my transfer case was making so much noise I had to have it replaced. Still didn't realize it might be a tire problem. Now, of course, it's making noise again. 4WD doesn't sound bad 'cause I rarely use it. Is there any way I can get AWD bypassed so I'm in 2wd until I need either 4H or 4L? Can a mechanic just get under there and render the AWD system part of the transfer case non-functional?

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know some of the expeditions had a 2 wheel, all wheel ,4h ,and 4l option but i dont know what has to been done to make it so you have 2 wheel drive but i thought about doing it to mine but with the power of the 5.4 and all and where i live with rain an snow i like not having to mess with putting it in 4 wheel drive.

but i think it has been talked about in other post but i dont remeber what was said but i look at having awd as a safty feuture so i would just replace all the tires with the same size tire and be good for another 80000 miles

Tibiko

Reaction score
If you do not need the AWD there are several easy ways of deactivating.
Easieast is to pull out the transfer case fuse or any fuse that controls the system.

Exped2002

Reaction score
oh yeah, where can i find these fuses, i looked in my exped-repair book but was unsuccessfull in finding anything