grinding noise and rough ride only when in 4A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volkerforster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a grinding noise from the drivetrain together with a juddery ride when I switch in 4A (2020 Platinum). It started just before the last winter. Therefore, never used 4A all winter. Since the problem is present in 4A but it's all smooth in 2A, I don't think it is related to the common IWE problem. The noise doesn't seem to come from the wheel hubs, it's more underneath.

Any ideas? Does that sound like transfer case or something? Should that be under drivetrain warranty? (63000km)

I could just go to Ford, but our dealership (Rose City Ford, Windsor/Ontario) always charges 150-200 bucks only to have a look. 2 years ago they charged me 160 CAD only to tell me that my 3rd brake light needs to be replaced.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Saw that sticky… now what if you’ve got a 2021 with the electronic system?
2021 don't have the Electronic system that I am aware of. 2022 should have been that change, at least that is my impression.

mhExped

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited, so perhaps a different beast. However, when I had something that sounds like what you are describing, it turned out to be a trashed front diff.

OP
OP
V

volkerforster

Reaction score
Read this
I read this 100+ times. Here and from many other sources. It describes a problem when 4WD is not properly disengaged, which causes a grinding noise when switched into 2WD. My problem, as I thought I would have explained quite clearly, is the exact opposite.

Even if I appreciate that you try to help, reading my post before answering would be even better. Disappointing that the Super Moderator even gives that a like. Please guys, don't be so superficial. That doesn't help someone looking for support.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

volkerforster

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited, so perhaps a different beast. However, when I had something that sounds like what you are describing, it turned out to be a trashed front diff.
That's unfortunately what I am almost expecting... Ford will find out tomorrow.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read this 100+ times. Here and from many other sources. It describes a problem when 4WD is not properly disengaged, which causes a grinding noise when switched into 2WD. My problem, as I thought I would have explained quite clearly, is the exact opposite.

Even if I appreciate that you try to help, reading my post before answering would be even better. Disappointing that the Super Moderator even gives that a like. Please guys, don't be so superficial. That doesn't help someone looking for support.
You just got here, How is anyone in this forum suppose to know you? That you know what you are talking about?
We treat all newbies as if they have bare minimum knowledge. We don't know you and you don't know this forum.
Don't be that guy who gets mad when someone tells them to read the owner manual because the answer is in there.
I don't think it is related to the common IWE problem.
Doesn't sound like you are sure either.

Even if I appreciate that you think everyone needs to hang your every word,
you said nothing before about reading the sticky100+ times until post #7 where you were berating @Going_Going_Gone for something you never said. (by the way report refused as he was dead on topic)
Step back take a breath and get to know the forum before trying to run it.

Take some of your own advice and don't be superficial.
No one was trying to make anyone look bad or berate but you.

Lets start again, this might help
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/correct-way-to-start-a-thread.47954/

Welcome to the forum.