Awd issue, but 4x4 mode no issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69ford99

Reaction score
I had my expy in awd and after making a turn and going forward for 50-100 ft it feels like I'm going over a rough surface and then it's fine...doesn't do it 4 wheel high but when disengaging 4 hi back to 2wd it seems like I have to stop and back up to get it to disengage. Any ideas?

OP
OP

69ford99

Reaction score
I checked my tranny fluid because I've been smelling something. The tranny was half- to full quart low...should I go ahead and do a filter and fluid change.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Try pulling the fuse for the electric clutch.

OP
OP

69ford99

Reaction score
I dropped the pan yesterday and changed filter. When I put pan back up I torqued pan to 120 in lbs. I checked fluid level again today and had to add some. It looks like fluid is seeping out a little. I might tighten pan to the max torque spec and see if the helps. If not, what is next new oem gasket and pan?

OP
OP

69ford99

Reaction score
I'm using factory gasket now and it looks fine, the new filter came with a rubber gasket.

OP
OP

69ford99

Reaction score
I pulled the Fill plug on the transfer case and tranny fluid poured out. How hard is it to pull the transfer case on these?