Backup cams : dash vs. mirror screen, reverse only vs 360°...please advise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ended up selling my Navigator and keeping my '09 Expy XL SSV.

Definitely feeling the need for some kind of backup cam.

No screen on the basic (and broken) CD player/Radio, so decision time.... mirror screen or new headunit with backup camera capability? Should I try one of the newfangled 360° models, or do they suck unless designed from the ground up for the specific vehicle they're mounted to?

Also, what mounts up neatly on the Expedition, camera-itself-wise?

Please advise on stuff you've installed and used in your trucks.

Amazon links with prices would be purrrfect~ thx!

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please search for “backup camera replacement”. When you get there, there is one thread where a member installed a new backup camera on his 2015. Good luck!!

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nah mine has a jammed CD player, radio itself works

Which doesn't really matter since it has no graphics display of any kind whatsoever, just the "calculator-style"... not much use for a backup camera, that

I guess any "double DIN" unit would work then. Amazon and Best Buy have plenty of those (head units with navigation, backup cam, etc).

I would stay away from obscure Chinese brands, as these things tend to die on you very fast. In essence, you get what you pay for... so be sure to do some research or read reviews before buying.

;)

Also, all aftermarket head units will probably require the install kit (bracket to fit inside the dash bezel + Ford wiring adapter). I've installed a few head units in other cars / trucks before and they all needed it. Walmart sells both adapters, as do a few other places.

Last I checked, BestBuy refused to sell me theirs, as they reserve them for their "installers" only when you buy a car stereo. This was not the case about 10 years earlier, when they sold them to you no problem.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to get fancy the higher end Kenwood and JVC units support multiple cameras and when paired w the Maesteo harness from idatalink you can have blind spot cams that kick on with turn signals, front rear/camera, digital gauges, radar detector integration, etc. Of course you'll get the updated tech that accompanies such a radio like carplay/android auto, voice control, etc.

Biggest question is what is the budget? Are you installing yourself for having it done? Labor can add considerable cost, especially for a universal 360 setup. Do you want a camera that is removable vs something that requires permanent modification?

I've done cameras in numerous vehicles, including my own. The mirror replacement systems are nice, minimal work and keep an OEM look but you'll lose autodim.

Bestbuy will absolutely sell you installation components, there is no policy in place otherwise. You likely have a store with less than knowledgeable staff that don't want to bother with it or one doing something they shouldn't be... I used to be an autotech lead before I got injured in an accident. If you know what you need hop online and order for store pickup. Its automated at that point and no store wants to put themselves in a no-pick situation on their own accord. It makes them look bad performance wise and usually it's someone from inventory team picking the orders and they could care less what you purchase, only that they accurately pick your order in a timely fashion.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to get fancy the higher end Kenwood and JVC units support multiple cameras and when paired w the Maesteo harness from idatalink you can have blind spot cams that kick on with turn signals, front rear/camera, digital gauges, radar detector integration, etc. Of course you'll get the updated tech that accompanies such a radio like carplay/android auto, voice control, etc.

Biggest question is what is the budget? Are you installing yourself for having it done? Labor can add considerable cost, especially for a universal 360 setup. Do you want a camera that is removable vs something that requires permanent modification?

I've done cameras in numerous vehicles, including my own. The mirror replacement systems are nice, minimal work and keep an OEM look but you'll lose autodim.

Bestbuy will absolutely sell you installation components, there is no policy in place otherwise. You likely have a store with less than knowledgeable staff that don't want to bother with it or one doing something they shouldn't be... I used to be an autotech lead before I got injured in an accident. If you know what you need hop online and order for store pickup. Its automated at that point and no store wants to put themselves in a no-pick situation on their own accord. It makes them look bad performance wise and usually it's someone from inventory team picking the orders and they could care less what you purchase, only that they accurately pick your order in a timely fashion.

DIY, bang-for-buck stuff preferred... updated infotainment would be a plus though, but mainly I need a backup cam. That or 360.

I'm getting into CDL-A trucking and don't need no stupid avoidable minor accidents like parking lot dings on my record

mcloven

Reaction score
if you go with anything new. check out the time it takes for it to boot up and show video. my wife bought me a kenwood 692 a few years ago and its fairly awesome, except by the time the unit boots and shows video, i am already out of the driveway and down the road.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you go with anything new. check out the time it takes for it to boot up and show video. my wife bought me a kenwood 692 a few years ago and its fairly awesome, except by the time the unit boots and shows video, i am already out of the driveway and down the road.

That's pretty much why I'm begging for advice-from-experience

I'd rather install an older and more basic unit that has proven its functionality and longevity to a forum member than splurge on name brand extra pixels or cores / take risk on offbrand unknown for higher specs only to find out that the camera is slow/crappy/doesn't mount correctly without hacking up half the truck or something

If anyone can please advise, speed/resolution/brightness/low light performance equivalent of a 2012 Lincoln Sync backup camera would be quite sufficient thx

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. This was in Canada and about 4 years ago, in a very large and popular Best Buy. The guy had to get his manager and they couldn't figure out if they could sell it, as it was a "restricted" item for sale (conditional to having it installed by them).

Anyway, they ended up refusing to sell so I was going to leave them the radio too. As I was leaving the store, the manager made an "executive decision" to sell me the kit, but only this once apparently.

Lol... :emotions133: