How to fix your stock radio (dead LED display)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 2014 a few weeks ago, the radio was dead and the dealership told me to "go get one for $50 at a scrap yard", because they were already giving a good deal on the truck... but who wants a scrap yard radio that might have the same issue by next month, anyway?

So, I watched some videos on how to fix it and apparently it's a very common problem with those Fords. Dealership apparently wants $400 for a new radio. Luckily, there's a fairly easy fix :

I based myself on this video, plus some of the comments to :

A) resolder all the display pins ;

B) resolder all the black capacitors (flat rectangles) on the circuit board and ;

C) lightly sand + clean the J-shaped ground spring on the display circuit board, then apply some dielectric grease to it. I did the radio casing side (where the J-shaped spring makes contact) the same way, as it had a black mark on there from rubbing / vibrations. I also bent the J spring out a little bit, to make sure it makes better contact with the radio casing.

It worked like a charm. As soon as the radio was plugged back in, the display came alive! :waytogo:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good post, for my car, there was the infamous relay 41, it had a cold-soldered joint that prevented the seats from moving. Sometimes, the factory doesn't solve or catch all the issues...

jeff

Jon1985

Reaction score
If you did buy a used radio or even new radio for the fact I would’ve upgraded it to the ford Navigation model radio

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you did buy a used radio or even new radio for the fact I would’ve upgraded it to the ford Navigation model radio

Well, anyone can buy new (or used) and simply replace... but where's the fun in that?

I fixed mine to see if I could, basically. I do agree that if you're going to swap it out for something else, go with the navigation model (upgrade). This fix cost me under 10 cents of solder wire, so it's still a win in my book!

I use my phone for navigation and the stock Ford GPS units need paid updates apparently, which the phone doesn't. So it all depends on what you want / need.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, anyone can buy new (or used) and simply replace... but where's the fun in that?

I fixed mine to see if I could, basically. I do agree that if you're going to swap it out for something else, go with the navigation model (upgrade). This fix cost me under 10 cents of solder wire, so it's still a win in my book!

I use my phone for navigation and the stock Ford GPS units need paid updates apparently, which the phone doesn't. So it all depends on what you want / need.

Dunno about Ford Sync version, but the Lincoln Sync Navigation had some pretty cool features like very effective waypoints... stuff most phone apps can't do

Then again without updates, it become obsolete and worse than useless in some places like Nevada

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
IMG_20190901_145245[1].jpg Ford 'made in Mexico' radios. The 'E series' vans and chassis all crap out. They sit directly over the engine dog house. The heat kills them. Ford continues to install the same bad radio, in there stripped chassis shuttles(says a lot about Ford). The radio is used in many different models, but they are vehicle specific, for some reason. The PCM controls, the on/off, for the delay shut off. Without the proper signal the radio won't turn on. I have a Navigation radio out of a 2007 Expedition, if anyone needs one. I was never able to use it or test it.

IMG_20190901_145007[1].jpg

Last edited:

GaryB

Reaction score
ugh. I just replaced the radio in my wifes 2010 explorer for the same reason. But, at least it was an upgrade to nav and bluetooth. I just threw the old one in the trash.

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford 'made in Mexico' radios. The 'E series' vans and chassis all crap out. They sit directly over the engine dog house. The heat kills them. Ford continues to install the same bad radio, in there stripped chassis shuttles(says a lot about Ford). The radio is used in many different models, but they are vehicle specific, for some reason. The PCM controls, the on/off, for the delay shut off. Without the proper signal the radio won't turn on. I have a Navigation radio out of a 2007 Expedition, if anyone needs one. I was never able to use it or test it.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. It seems like getting one out of a scrap yard may be more complicated than just plugging it in, then.

P.S. I've sent you a private message.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 31901 Ford 'made in Mexico' radios. The 'E series' vans and chassis all crap out. They sit directly over the engine dog house. The heat kills them. Ford continues to install the same bad radio, in there stripped chassis shuttles(says a lot about Ford). The radio is used in many different models, but they are vehicle specific, for some reason. The PCM controls, the on/off, for the delay shut off. Without the proper signal the radio won't turn on. I have a Navigation radio out of a 2007 Expedition, if anyone needs one. I was never able to use it or test it.

View attachment 31902

Sent you a PM about the radio.

NYGiants20181

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 2011 Expedition. Is there a video somewhere showing how to remove and reinstall the radio and panel without breaking them?