Transmission rebuilt on 2019 Expedition by dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake8

Reaction score
So I just had the transmission rebuilt by the dealership after transmission issues at 50k miles. The first day after the fix, transmission fluid leaked after a long hour drive, I checked the fluid level and it seemed way over what it should have been even after the leak.

I brought the car back to the dealership and they changed the pan and the seal. Now that I got home, I checked the level again and it is literally to the top of the dip stick. Is this a safe level? Yes, the car is hot and running.

https://imgur.com/BwiwNZj

Attachments

• 20230627_171556.jpg
    20230627_171556.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 52

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 also with 51K. Just did my fluid and filter. I made sure it was hot and in the B range. Why did you have it rebuilt? I still have an occasional bump or catchup noise. Not often but noticeable.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you say it is overfilled and I should drain some? Why would the dealership overfill 2x?
I assume you are measuring with the engine idling at operating temps.

I am not sure it is overfilled, there are several dipsticks and yours is different than the one in the attached file. I will post the instructions for different dipsticks later today.

The main issue with technicians overfilling it is that the level has to be checked when the temp of the fluid is 205 deg. This requires the technician to drive it for probably an hour to reach this temp. Plus, the dipstick is very close to the hot exhaust which will get you for sure.

The technicians take a shortcut by filling when cold to the bottom of the acceptable range on the hope that the level will be OK when the fluid expands. Unfortunately, with this particular transmission, this procedure results in one quart overfilled transmission (don’t ask how I know haha).

OP
OP
J

Jake8

Reaction score
Obviously, I am way over the recommended level. Should I take the car back to the dealership? The car is driving fine. I mean they did this 2x already. I would assume they would know what they are doing. I do not believe the pan was bad the first time around, I think the transmission fluid leaked because they overfilled the first time so why make the same mistake again? Im so confused.

I have a 2019 also with 51K. Just did my fluid and filter. I made sure it was hot and in the B range. Why did you have it rebuilt? I still have an occasional bump or catchup noise. Not often but noticeable.

To the guy that is asking why I had it rebuilt... Its not my SUV, its all new Expeditions! All of them. You are about to hit 60k miles and your powertrain warranty will end. Depending on when you bought the vehicle, you might even be within your last few months of powertrain warranty. Do not wait another day and go get that transmission rebuilt or replaced! You were meant to read this message! Your transmission will very soon give up and the cost is easily over $13k without warranty.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Obviously, I am way over the recommended level. Should I take the car back to the dealership? The car is driving fine. I mean they did this 2x already. I would assume they would know what they are doing. I do not believe the pan was bad the first time around, I think the transmission fluid leaked because they overfilled the first time so why make the same mistake again? Im so confused.

To the guy that is asking why I had it rebuilt... Its not my SUV, its all new Expeditions! All of them. You are about to hit 60k miles and your powertrain warranty will end. Depending on when you bought the vehicle, you might even be within your last few months of powertrain warranty. Do not wait another day and go get that transmission rebuilt or replaced! You were meant to read this message! Your transmission will very soon give up and the cost is easily over $13k without warranty.
I think if you were able to reach the dipstick yourself, you should buy a $10 fluid extractor and pump some fluid out. Do increments of 0.25 quarts until you are at the correct level.

If you leave it alone, it will puke it again in the middle of a long drive.