Battery Drain/Door Adjar Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hamfisted yes the interior lights stay on when I open/close the door. The radio goes off when I open my door. I'll go ahead and order the door switch. If I'm going to go to the trouble to remove the door panel and handle I prefer to have the switch in hand. I'll be sure to post my results.
Thanks!!

AskMeLater

Reaction score
Hey khpony,

I'm sure you've already considered it, but you may want to make sure which door switch is malfunctioning before you order the part. There is a different part number for the left side and right side.

When I had to change mine out, I started with the most likely to fail, which seems to be the driver front, but it turned out to be the passenger front door which was bad. You can unplug the switch and jump it out with a paper clip. If the door ajar light goes out, then you know that's your failed switch. (In my case, when I tried to remove the switch on the passenger front, it fell apart in my hand)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks but for $22 I figured I'd take a chance on the drivers door. Especially since the Expy has 117K on the clock and the drivers seat is the only one showing any wear.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
Thanks but for $22 I figured I'd take a chance on the drivers door. Especially since the Expy has 117K on the clock and the drivers seat is the only one showing any wear.

Good deal, khpony. Keep us updated. I know that door ajar light is a pain when you can't turn it off!

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I put a new switch in the drivers door and that didn't cure it. I then jumpered the switch in the pass front door and no change. As of now I have jumper wires in borh rear doors and still no change although the switch for the pass rear door was in pieces. I waited a good minute or more for the interior lights to go out but they didn't. Does anyone have any ideas. Yes I'm just getting the "door ajar message" not the liftgate message.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also the inetrior lights stay on all the time if the dash lights are on. Go figure. This is about to wear me out since this is the wifes vehicle.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wiring diagram shows the switch in a closed position which we will assume is normal for when the doors are closed. If you still have the door panels off I would check the door switch & grounds for each door.

If that proves out then I would do the same check with the doors at the vehicle security module. See print 117-4. Let me know if you need it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you found the rear door switch in pieces I would be suspect of that one. Might as well go ahead and replace all the door latch switches since you seem to have a handle on it. Those are what trigger the "door ajar" message and the interior lights, etc....

-Mike

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as of right now there's a new switch in the drivers door. i have a jumper wire in the pass/rear door (ordered a new switch today) and the other 2 doors have checked out with a jumper wire and they checked out with a vom. Also i now have a condition where the radio now goes off as soon as I shut the key off. this just started today. I have a dvm from HF but it's over 10 years old and I can't seem to get a read on current draw. I tried it with the neg disconnected and the dvm in that circuit. Am I missing something. Have a 1700mi trip coming up in about 4 weeks for a new grandson so I need to get this taken care of. Any additional advice Hamfisted will be greatly appreciated. I can follow directions pretty good.
TIA

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you check current draw the meter is in series with the battery. Most meters are limited to 10amp current so be carefull.

Make sure that the HF meter will read current draw - should have a range something like 10A.

Resistance is checked with no power on the circuit and uses the Ω symbol in the range selection.

How did you verify the door switches?