Battleship grey paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dhorlo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking to rattle can paint my '02 expy a flat medium grey, like a battleship. Problem is outside of primer, I can't find a flat medium grey auto paint in a spray can. So I have two questions, can you use primer as paint, i.e. is it durable enough? Or is battleship grey in a spray can out there and I just didn't find it?

Thanks in advance.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look online. You will probably have to order it. Or go to a store that sells automotive paint. They will probably be able to identify a color for you and order it.

OP
OP
Dhorlo

Dhorlo

Reaction score
Look online. You will probably have to order it. Or go to a store that sells automotive paint. They will probably be able to identify a color for you and order it.

lve2wheel, Thank you for your suggestion, but I did. Although I didn't specifically say it in my post, I checked Dupli-Color, Rust-oleum and Krylons websites before posting here. While there are some non-auto paint options, like Rust-oleums Universal Flat Metallic Spray Paint in Antique Nickel, my hope was to find someone here more familiar with auto paint that could easily name a brand that carries flat grey in a spray.

I did also ask at my local AutoZone and O'Reillys but they did not know of a spray can option.

My hope is to find a common brand and color that, if I needed touch ups, could get now and 5 years from now.

I am still curious if just using primer is an option. Primer is basically the color I want and it's readily available. But I'm just not sure of its durability and what effects long term sun and element exposure will have on it, i.e. will it become "blotchy".

bedrck46, I understand your asking to complete my signature line to identify my expedition to better assist in answering, but I don't see the reliance of it for my post as this is a discussion about paint. I did note my year in my original post, but to comply with your request, I have added it to my signature.

Last edited:

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I am fairly familar with automotive painting systems, and have painted multiple cars, bikes, trucks, suvs, boats, etc. But you're are looking for a spray bomb, not a single stage, or base coat/clear coat applicant. So that makes it much more difficault to find. Ever consider Plasti Dip? its reletivly (sp) cheap and fairly easy to do. You can do it in spray bomb ( rattle can) or through their spray gun. Comes in a multitude of colors and can be tinted. I understand you went to the local parts store looking for paint, but IF you are serious about it and really stuck on spray bomb ( im assuming for affordability) I would try a store that actually specializes in automotive paint, as the also carry spary bomb and can probably color match for you. But I would look into Plasti Dip. Its probably going to run you the same price if not cheaper and from what i've read will hold up better to the UV light and daily driving over spray bomb. Just my $.02. Hope this helps.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a NAPA store that mixes their own paint. You can pick out any color you want, and they usually can mix it into a spray can. I picked up an OEM paint color in a spray can a year or so ago. They mixed it, then put it into a spray can and pressurized it right there.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use an epoxy primer to paint the whole vehicle and get some level of protection from road debris and rust. They do it out west a lot. but I dont know if you'll get the desired color you want.

OP
OP
Dhorlo

Dhorlo

Reaction score
Well I am fairly familar with automotive painting systems, and have painted multiple cars, bikes, trucks, suvs, boats, etc. But you're are looking for a spray bomb, not a single stage, or base coat/clear coat applicant. So that makes it much more difficault to find. Ever consider Plasti Dip?

lve2wheel, Thanks again for your reply. I hope you didn't take what I said as saying you didn't know anything about auto painting. That was not what I meant. I meant I was hoping for someone who knows a lot of paint brands to chime in an say "oh yea, XYZ brand caries it". Apologies if it was taken any other way.

I've never heard of Plasti Dip and after visiting the website, wheels are turning in my head for other uses with my camping tools. I do have a question about it's durability/re-painting. My main reason for going with a matte paint is that I do a lot of off road camping and get the occasional tree branch scrape. With a matte paint, I could sand the scrape down and spray over it. Good as new. With the Plasti Dip, it almost looks like it would "tear" rather than scrape. Do you think it could be painted over as easily as I described with the matte paint?

OP
OP
Dhorlo

Dhorlo

Reaction score
Find a NAPA store that mixes their own paint. You can pick out any color you want, and they usually can mix it into a spray can. I picked up an OEM paint color in a spray can a year or so ago. They mixed it, then put it into a spray can and pressurized it right there.

Stoned06, I didn't know they did this. This may be the answer if they can do the color in a matte finish instead of gloss. I give my local one a call. Thanks!

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally haven't used Plasti Dip on my vehicle but i plan on doing it soon. From what i have heard it is fairly durable and a lot of guys use it on their trail rigs and daily drivers. Even seen some guys with BMW's using it. If it does need to be repainted for what ever reason you just peel it off and repaint. Every one I've talked to says they love it. And peels fairly easy when they want to remove it. It comes in many gloss, matte, even metallic, etc. And no offense was taken, no apology needed but thank you.