bbk throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
any thoughts? anyone put one on yet? i keep looking at it and keep walking away. am i correct in walking away or should i get one?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some ppl say its a waste of $$$$ based on the amount minimal HP/gains you get from it...i dont know...i was going to one until i found out that gains are minimal...like +1/+2 HP gains...dont know about fuel economy...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really dont see a need unless it is part of a major motor mod.... since i've never heard of gains large enough to warrant the cost of it

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was going to get one for dirt cheap used, but the guy didnt want to sell it separate off his motor, even though he was stripping the motor... what ever. i would say get one if its on sale, dirt cheap, or if you have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket or your money tree.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Believe it or not the factory actually pretty much optimizes the system as a whole. Each component is well matched to the other. So no one component generally will make a dramatic difference. You have to change the system as a whole to really get any significant gains. Throttle body, mass air, intake, heads as an example. Not being specific just trying to give an example.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im looking for a good MAF sensor...the only one i find is $500...there has to be more out there for cheaper...it was the granitelli...i think thats how you spell it.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Mine has that Granatelli MAF on it, unfortunately I never drove the truck with the stock one on to compare it to.

My feeling is that it was a waste of cash, just like the throttle body spacer.

The general results of most of these bolt ons (on an otherwise stock motor) is that you may pick up a hp or two, but you give up a couple of lb/ft to get them. It's supposed to be true with headers, tbi spacers, throttle bodys and the like. It's the reason that they never publish dyno data in their ads.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has that Granatelli MAF on it, unfortunately I never drove the truck with the stock one on to compare it to.

My feeling is that it was a waste of cash, just like the throttle body spacer.

The general results of most of these bolt ons (on an otherwise stock motor) is that you may pick up a hp or two, but you give up a couple of lb/ft to get them. It's supposed to be true with headers, tbi spacers, throttle bodys and the like. It's the reason that they never publish dyno data in their ads.

who dont...complete motor/supercharger/tranny job is YEARS...down the road

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here's the deal. If you upgrade to a 75mm throttle body, and you have NO other mods...

you will get a little extra power, but eat up GALLONS more gas. not worth the upgrade by itself.

if you put on a the throttle body in conjunction with ALL the other bolt ons like the spacer, CAI, MAF, pulleys, GOTTs, tuner, etc. etc. AND port/polish your intakes and elbows. you will see an overall gain somewhere in the realm of a 2-3 mpg increase on the instant readout cruising at highway speeds.
the power is about 20-50 H.P. the reason I fluctuate the numbers so much is for one reason....the tuner. mild tune = mild power. and so on up the scale.

just make note that a 75mm throttle body WILL hurt gas mileage, but WILL make it faster (however it is only by a little) I personally have opted not to do a throttle body upgrade, I am trying to get this beast to do 20mpg @ 70 on the highway. I currently travel at a steady 18mpg sometimes 19mpg and get a little over 400 miles out of each tank of gas.

if the question is posed "Are you happy with your upgrades?" the answer is hell yes I am.
where as they say the actual gains may be minimal if you couple all those possible upgrades together you end up getting a pretty substantial and noticeable power,torque,& mpg upgrade. Not to mention you can feel it in your seatofthepants dyno. which as we all know is the only one that matters.

but to get the power you have to do all the upgrades, the MAF sensor lets the CAI work to max capacity. the spacer gives just a little bit better atomization that equals a little better throttle response. the exhaust lets all the extra gas breath easier from the truck. the pulleys take away parasitic drag from the engine, Efans remove it the rest of the way and the tuner helps all the other items perform top notch because the brain has now been made better. so it's a lot of little upgrades that equal the big noticeable change.

so sit down. work out a plan, and alwys keep your eyes open for the next helluva deal.

I cruise craigslist and ebay 5 days a week. in one shot...for $400 I was able to buy a magnaflow catback, superchips tuner (older but worked fine) K&N CAI with Granetelli MAF, and JBA stainless shorty headers.

in another steal of a deal I got the underdrive pulleys and the throttle body space for something like $100-$150 whatever half price works out to be.