Biggest tire/wheel without lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffnoel

Reaction score
As the subject says what's the biggest (tallest/widest) offroad tire/wheel combo I can fit on my 99 Expy 4x4 without a lift. I'm currently running 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17" chrome Navigator style wheels.

Last edited:

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know, I would also like to know this. I'm not sure. If I had the money I would jack mine up and put some massive tires on it, but I don't roll like that. :) I do think that the stock tires on the 98 expeditions are too small though. I would like something a little more menacing.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I THINK the largest you can run according to 'the books' is 270 but I'm not sure how much you can push before having problems. If you wana guess it measure the diameter of the wheel well and thats a start. Then I'd go underneath and measure the travel of the suspension and you'll be able to figure out the max physical tire size through that.

You need enough clearance overhead for the it to bottom out which is the travel, add an inch maybe for safety, then measure from there to the ground. If that measurement is bigger than the wheel well then the wheel well restricts it and you can't go bigger than the wheel well. Also try and figure out how it'll work with turning the wheels.

Will need to try to visualize it in your head.

Just math.

Last edited:

croatone

Reaction score
I actually crammed a set of 315-70-17 bfg all terains off of a hummer H2 on my 2002 4x4 eb. I had to trim 3/4 inch off of the front valence so they wouldnt rub the little bit that they were. I am suprised they fit so well. I am cranking the torsion bars and putting in a daystar 2" spacer in on wednesday to make it look a little better. For the average guy I would reccomend a 285-70-17 or the nitto 295-70-17. they would not rub at all on a 4x4

Garrettmc

Reaction score
I dont mean to hijack this but I am facing the same issue. I need to replace my tires as well and wanted to go as big as possible. I have factory ride height now but was wondering how much I would have to lift the truck (1999) in order to fit a set of 37" tires I have laying around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett