Bikes and/or Kayaks on the roof???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbbco

Reaction score
Whichever route you decide to take, keep an eye on your max payload. We are a family of four (two teenage kids), along with a 100 pound lab. When we finally calculated the tongue weight of the camper, the bikes, the passengers, and all the camping gear we were surprised at how close we were to the maximum limit.

Kicknbak

Reaction score
How about a rack built for the camper that stands above the ac, vents, antennas.
Given the full area then would allow you to carry bikes, kayaks, pet enclosures, etc. all at the same time with a well designed carrier. Would be the route I would take anyway. Weight would be a concern then.

Naal6640

Reaction score
I just got back from camping in Door County WI - 5 hrs there, 5 hrs back pulling 30 ft TT.

I did a lot of research on how to mount bikes, we have 4 full size bikes. I looked at putting on back of camper bumper, over spare tire or from the ladder. I looked at mounting on tongue of camper and finally and settled on putting three on the roof and one inside the camper. I was real hesitant to put anything on the rear bumper because the weight and over extending of rack would put a lot of stress on bumper welds.

I simply bought the OEM Ford roof rack cross bars (about $100) and attached three Swagman bike roof racks (about $40 each).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL1AEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They did just fine, weight was never an issue. I did add a few bungie straps for extra stabilizing. The trick to getting them up and off is to grab bike by front fork and the post above pedals then lift straight overhead to carry.

Last edited:

FordFamily

Reaction score
Had a similar situation a while back. Never figured out how to put both up top of the Expedition in a way we trusted. We ended up with kayak racks on the roof and then took the bikes partially apart. Front wheel off, steering tube loosened and turned 90 degrees, pedals off. Put in the cargo area wrapped in an old blanket we didn't care about. Took 15 minutes at each end of the trip.

Not really optimal and we only had two big box store bikes. Just another thought to consider. YMMV. We hang 'em on the back of a different camper now.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about a rack built for the camper that stands above the ac, vents, antennas.
Given the full area then would allow you to carry bikes, kayaks, pet enclosures, etc. all at the same time with a well designed carrier. Would be the route I would take anyway. Weight would be a concern then.

X2. By putting them on the roof of the popup, you also won't have to be as concerned with height, and it will be more aerodynamic. In addition, they will be WAY easier to load/unload. There are many options for pop up camper roof racks that would clear the obstructions. But yeah, keep an eye on the weight...Good Luck!

whizkid

Reaction score
On our popup, I created a bracket that mounted to the front frame between the propane bottles and the front wall. Then, we put the bikes on fork mounts and the back wheels went on the top of the popup. Had a board under the back wheels to strap them all together and a cargo strap holding it all in place. Made a long trip to Florida with it and a couple of short trips around here in Oklahoma. Worked well every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
When we brought bikes with our Coleman Bayside popup I used a bike rack on the back of my Explorer (this was pre-Expeditions). I "think" it clamped to the tow bar of the trailer hitch. It did cut the turning radius of the rig.

Roof storage on a popup is a good way to (1) overload the trailer and (2) damage the roof. While some have cross bars there is typically little available carrying capacity in the tires. Roof storage on top of an Expedition seems like it would require a forklift to bet anything up there and back down.

Rent kayaks. My adult daughter was crying for one and my wife came close to buying one for her and another for her husband. Moms will always be Moms! :) A couple years ago a nice used kayak appeared on a local list and my daughter wanted me to transport it home with my Expedition. No way we could get it on the roof. Put all the seats down and and stuck it in the back. Maybe a 30 minute drive...

May 2018. Kayak has been used two (2) times since she bought it. Stays on a rack at the lake. Rent them as you need them!

-- Chuck

kayak.jpg

Dlsgap

Reaction score
I'm picking up a new kayak with my expedition tomorrow morning.. Will take pics when it's up there