Bilsteins and Alignment, Wow! 2018 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Jenkins

Reaction score
I had the very common issue of the factory shocks going bad in less than 20K miles. Delayed it as long as could and just having time to take the Expy in. Long story short, due to supply issues of products just got the Bilsteins in and Put them on. Was much better but not quite the improvement I was hoping.
The low pressure fuel pump went out so while I had it in the shop, I asked them to go ahead and check alignment just in case anything got changed with Bilsteins (I did do 0.5” ride height in front and stock in rear).
Well, the alignment was way off! So much so had to put adjustable camber nuts on the front. The drivers rear was maxed out to get an acceptable camber but the passenger rear is sitting at -2 with max adjustment done. We are just going to watch tire wear on the rear and if necessary can get adjustable aftermarket product to increase the range.
The Expy now is a joy to drive. Absolutely rock solid handling and comfort.
Just wanted to share our experience and encourage putting aftermarket shocks on and gettting your alignment checked.
As far as finding aftermarket shocks…….I found out the big vendors (Summitt racing, etc) get allotments in at various intervals and that if the website says they are in stock, that may NOT be true. I started googling the part numbers everyday within google shopping and finally timed it right. The place I got them was out of stock the day before. Found them online and ordered quickly as only said 4 left. Called ti verify they were in stock and got them. 15min later the site was out of stock.
Be patient and diligent and you’ll find what you are looking for.
Can’t recommend the Bilsteins enough (with correct alignment)

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very Nice. Love Bilstein shocks, ran them on every modern Ford, except this one.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So odd on the alignment. I didn't do anything after putting on the bilstein's and when the stock tires wore out and I was getting new I told them I wanted an alignment. They put in on the rack and then came back out and told me the alignment was perfect and they wouldn't charge me. Crazy yours would be off so much. I didn't change the ride height so maybe that is the difference.

OP
OP
J

Jon Jenkins

Reaction score
So odd on the alignment. I didn't do anything after putting on the bilstein's and when the stock tires wore out and I was getting new I told them I wanted an alignment. They put in on the rack and then came back out and told me the alignment was perfect and they wouldn't charge me. Crazy yours would be off so much. I didn't change the ride height so maybe that is the difference.
Don’t think the shock install messed the alignment. The shop and myself think that’s from the factory. We live in gravel road and sure over time have could have “some” change in alignment but nothing of the sort of what we found.

Expensedition

Reaction score
It is good to hear some histories on front end tuning. I have a 2014 Limited (my fifth Expy) and decided to keep this one longer than the others for many reasons. I just went through changing all the brake assemblies and completely replaced or Upgraded the front end parts. I replaced the Bilstein shocks as part of that Upgrade. The Bilstein shocks (adjustable) added the same 05" of lift to my front end. There is a very noticeable improvement in handling but from that point on I seem to be breaking sway bar links. The broken link creates a rattle on certain bumpy roads. I went brand to brand to see if it was just a defective link set. All of them break. My next thought it to extend the link 0.5" to match the lift?

Any thoughts...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What “level” on the bilsteins gives you 0.5” front and level in rear? Bottom detent on rear and first detent on front? Does it look flat, now, without the rake?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally anytime you remove struts, they throw the allignment off. Alligning after strut swap is almost a must in general.

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
I replaced the Bilstein shocks as part of that Upgrade. The Bilstein shocks (adjustable) added the same 05" of lift to my front end. There is a very noticeable improvement in handling but from that point on I seem to be breaking sway bar links. The broken link creates a rattle on certain bumpy roads. I went brand to brand to see if it was just a defective link set. All of them break. My next thought it to extend the link 0.5" to match the lift?

Any thoughts...
Any chance you know the part # of the adjustable Bilsteins?

Expensedition

Reaction score
Here is the P/N:

Bilstein® 24-285056 - 0"-1.0" B8 5100 Series Front Driver or Passenger Side Monotube Snap Ring Grooved Body Ride Height Adjustable Strut more details on - https://www.carid.com

Hope that helps!

They are adjustable by moving the ring up or down in the notches. You will need the spring stop from your set of factory shocks since Bilstein does not supply them. I had to buy a normal replacement set of front shocks to get the spring stop as a new part.

I am going to post some images in a new thread.

SM