Binding when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew82

Reaction score
New Expd owner here. First off let me start by saying I LOVE my Expedition. There's the good here's the not so good, while accelerating it feels like something is binding up or moving out of place and it feels like it's being pushed left and right (doesn't feel like a pull as much as it feels like a push). I've crawled under it to check the control arms for bad rust or to see if they were broken (they were not). It does it the worst when in OD around 1200-1500 RPMs. I can hit the accelerator to make it downshift and it stops "binding" but that's when it "pushes" me to the left and right. Also when I stop with the wheels turned left it feels like something is binding up. I haven't ever experienced anything like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
check the brakes, after driving it see if one hub is hotter that the others

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I offer:
*Suspension check too. If you stand on the rear bumper and get off, then get back on, does it sag more than just a little. Also try the side-to-side shimmy shake to see if it's overly wobbly.
*Motor mounts perhaps.
*Any recent trans work & something is loose.
* +1 on a potential drag from a bad caliper perhaps.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely check those. Friend of mine said could be parking brake hanging?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely check those. Friend of mine said could be parking brake hanging?

I did have my driverside parking brake cable sieze up on me. Check your parking brake cables (3 total) for freedom of movement. When it happened on mine it really resisted backing up.

Does your steering wheel pull hard to either side?

Double check your rear control arms!! They tend to rust out but the paint can remain and hide it. If the steering wheel is not pulling one direction or the other that has me thinking its in the rear axle alignment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
I did have my driverside parking brake cable sieze up on me. Check your parking brake cables (3 total) for freedom of movement. When it happened on mine it really resisted backing up.

Does your steering wheel pull hard to either side?

Double check your rear control arms!! They tend to rust out but the paint can remain and hide it. If the steering wheel is not pulling one direction or the other that has me thinking its in the rear axle alignment.

It pulls left and right. Also feels like something is binding/moving under the middle of the expedition

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Do you have 4wd and does it work?

2000 expedition correct??

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you feel it pull the steering wheel I would focus on the front end. I agree with what was said above and would add check the CV joints, and front drivetrain.

Put front end on jack stands and check for freedom of movement. Turn the steering to the left where you experience the binding and see if its in the drivetrain or brakes. You should be able to rotate either wheel by hand if both wheels are in the air. There will be some resistance as the brakes do drag but you should be able to rotate them with out binding up. The differential will force the other wheel to spin the opposite direction unless the front driveshaft is allowed to spin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
If you feel it pull the steering wheel I would focus on the front end. I agree with what was said above and would add check the CV joints, and front drivetrain.

Put front end on jack stands and check for freedom of movement. Turn the steering to the left where you experience the binding and see if its in the drivetrain or brakes. You should be able to rotate either wheel by hand if both wheels are in the air. There will be some resistance as the brakes do drag but you should be able to rotate them with out binding up. The differential will force the other wheel to spin the opposite direction unless the front driveshaft is allowed to spin.

Ok I'll give that a try. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so hopefully I can get it figured out. I'll do that this evening and I'll keep y'all updated on what I find out