Blinding others with my SL-1 LED Headlamp bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know what the issues are with the stock OEM bulbs you guys are having...my '04 is good and the '16 is even better.

OP
OP
Cyclone

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The follow up.

I spoke to my Mechanic when we were working on the truck and he took to adjusting the headlamps. I'm guessing he used a more suitable sized screwdriver because he was able to adjust the height perfectly. Haven't had a problem with other drives for the past year. I'm happy and they aren't reacting anymore, so I'm don't think I'm bothering anyone anymore.

Now, fast forward a year later and I get an email from Diode Dynamics. The SL1 bulbs are being recalled for safety reasons. They are too bright and cause glare for on coming drivers. They invite me to send back my $150 SL1 bulbs and they will gladly send me nice set of $25 Halogens. No refund.

Well, I still have my old Halogens, so no thanks.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, mine takes a #3 phillips also, they fit better and less chance of stripping the screw head. They make a 1, 2, and 3.

OP
OP
Cyclone

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish more people cared about that. I live in the country so when blinding me it's really bad.

Yeah, I really felt awful and would actually hang back much farther from the car ahead of me so I didn't light up their interior. It was bad. But now that they are adjusted properly, its not an issue. You can tell where the bright spot was before was right in their faces, now its down on the street where it belongs.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 2015 XLT in June. The halogens were dim and I was often seeing my Trucks shadow in front of me when I was backlit by some car with LED lights following behind me. I decided to get some LED bulbs myself and spend the $150 on the Diode Dynamics SL-1 Bulbs. The installed easily and worked right out of the game (once you figured out the polarity).

So I've had these installed for about a month and while they are working great, I have a problem. I'm blinding everyone on the road. Popping the head light Assembly in and out is so easy its trivial. But I see that my 'aim' is just a bit too high and to the left (in other words right into the eyes of oncoming drivers). Also when following behind other cars, I fully light up their interiors. I often see people grab for the 'night' switch on their review mirrors as I roll up on them.

I have gone from being very pleased with my night illumination to self-conscious and guilty. I now hang back further from other cars and pretty much have several oncoming cars 'flash' me. I know for each one that does, that most others are also cursing my lights.

One of my main problem is that my lights are noticeably projecting high. Much higher than they need to be. Not sure if it was always that way with Halogens and were just too dim to be an issue, or if my removal and reinstall of the headlamp assembly knocked everything out of calibration, or if the LED bulbs just changed the aim.

So last night I decided to try to aim these things lower. I see an adjustment screw on the back of the assembly, so I put a phillips in there and turn. I had pulled up to the garage door and as I turned the aim of the lamp didn't change. It really didn't seem to change much or at all. I drove the truck around the block and noticed that the aim was no even higher! So at least I know it can change. I returned adjusted some more and tried to push the assembly in more at the bottom. I was able to get the focus to lower some, but it is really at where I started.

My question is how to I effectly aim this headlamp assembly? That screw adjuster really doesn't seem to steer the main bulb, or reflector, so I'm not sure what I doing when I use that. Any tips would be helpful.

Don
I know you bought bulbs but I use a variety of brands (AUXITO #1, JKCOVER #2 {they are going out of business so buy while you can}, ZDATT #3 {benefit of color filters}) Those are the three I go with and they work fantastically and none of them interfere with the radio or anything. Just a suggestion for you

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ones I am running are from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRC7TL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Though mine are for an '11. Not sure without looking it up if the '15 (your sig vehicle) take the same or has separate hi/low beam lights.. ;)

Mine are fantastic. They really light stuff up, have been running them for a couple weeks now, and haven't had anyone bright me. I also have the same bulb in my '06 Exploder, but they're not as bright there. I also have tinted headlight housings, and it's possible that they may need to be re-aimed. With my Expy, I simply popped the LEDs in and re-mounted the stock housings. Perfect, bright white light. I put LED fogs in too, they're 6000K while the headlights are 6500K. I wanted them to match more than anything, as if it's foggy enough to need a lower light help see I won't be out in it unless it's an emergency.

I too parked the expedition on the road and then drove toward it in my Explorer. It's not a bother at all. Good to go. Hope this helps.