Blinking Traction Control Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcgraham

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer edition with 210,000 miles on it. We had the brake booster go out and after replacing it the traction control light went on. The light was not on prior to the replacement. We got a second part and I had Auto Zone scan the car to see if we could turn off the light. You would get a Check AdvanceTrac warning as soon as you turn on the car. They scanned it and cleared the codes and ever since the light has been flashing!!! We got another part since we were pretty sure the first one had a bad sensor. My husband replaced it but it is still flashing!!! Now the Advance Trac says it is on when you start the car, but after a few minutes of driving it says it is off and to Check Advance Trac. Please help, this is so frustrating and I really want the silly light to turn off. The car drives and acts fine except for that. Thanks in advance for any help, advice!!! :)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer edition with 210,000 miles on it. We had the brake booster go out and after replacing it the traction control light went on. The light was not on prior to the replacement. We got a second part and I had Auto Zone scan the car to see if we could turn off the light. You would get a Check AdvanceTrac warning as soon as you turn on the car. They scanned it and cleared the codes and ever since the light has been flashing!!! We got another part since we were pretty sure the first one had a bad sensor. My husband replaced it but it is still flashing!!! Now the Advance Trac says it is on when you start the car, but after a few minutes of driving it says it is off and to Check Advance Trac. Please help, this is so frustrating and I really want the silly light to turn off. The car drives and acts fine except for that. Thanks in advance for any help, advice!!! :)

Did you use an OEM Motorcraft part, or an aftermarket one?

If aftermarket, my only advice would be to replace it with an OEM part.

David E

Reaction score
Hi,
First before anyone can help much here you need to scan the system for the correct codes and let us know what the codes are. Not sure that AZ scanner can access the ABS system codes.
AdvanceTRAC is a part of the ABS and is controlled by the ABS Module. Hopefully it wasn't damaged in the process of replacing the booster. (Sits closely in-front of it I believe.)
Lets start with retrieving the codes and go from there. You can use FORScan (free software) to access the ABS with almost any generic OBD2 dongle. There can be many possibilities.. from a sensor going bad to an issue with the module.
Good luck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need a scanner, like ForScan (it's free) to read the chassis / ABS codes and see what the problem is. It's possible the second part's sensor was bad but that would be kinda weird. But I hate to make guesses and just throw more parts at it. Either download ForScan and put it on your laptop ( you'll need a compatible OBDII / USB adapter...) so you can read the chassis codes yourself, or call around to find some shop that can read the chassis codes for you.

ForScan Software Download Link

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
I got the code C1998 Module Calibration Failure. The guy at AutoZone scanned it and cleared what codes where there which is what caused the flashing. I went to Oreillys and they scanned it and got this code. From the reading I have done it looks like it can be reset with the ForScan software. Just wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with this.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Had a similar problem on an ‘08 Limited. No matter what we did we couldn’t trace the problem. Changed sensors, cleared codes etc. turns out that the passenger side rear hub was going bad. It wobbled just enough to cause the sensor to flicker on and off. So check your hubs!

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
I got Auto Zone to pay for me to take it to the mechanic to have the computer reset. Once he reset it all was good. No more light!